Footnote Numbers Not Updating

G

Hellllpp!! I'm working on a scholarly article with lots of footnotes. During my revisions I've deleted some, added others. In part of the document Word updated the numbers without any problem ... but now I'm finding that it is deleting footnotes and NOT updating the numbers. So some footnote numbers appear nowhere -- they are gone from the text, gone from the footnotes, but 36 is followed by 39, and then 41 ... I've trying saving and closing and reopening the document ... nothing seems to help. Ideas? Thank you, thank you!

S

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Are you perhaps tracking changes? If so, the numbers will not be correct
until you have accepted all the changes.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
Word MVP FAQ site: http://www.mvps.org/word
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so
all may benefit.

msprof said:
Hellllpp!! I'm working on a scholarly article with lots of footnotes.
During my revisions I've deleted some, added others. In part of the
document Word updated the numbers without any problem ... but now I'm
finding that it is deleting footnotes and NOT updating the numbers. So some
footnote numbers appear nowhere -- they are gone from the text, gone from
the footnotes, but 36 is followed by 39, and then 41 ... I've trying saving
and closing and reopening the document ... nothing seems to help. Ideas?
Thank you, thank you!

G

Thank you, Suzanne! "Track changes" was on -- in part of the document. I had NOT purposefully "turned it on," as I haven't a clue how to use it/don't need to track changes on a document I'm preparing solo. Took awhile to figure out how to "accept all changes" (dumb me, I was actually looking for the words "accept changes" to show up somewhere; had no clue that the pictures had any role to play), but doing so fixed the footnotes. It's these kind of problems that keep my office totally wed to Word Perfect (which doesn't turn things on for you; which shows you what's on/off with formatting marks etc.) ... if my home version did anything but crash, I'd use it too ... if only to have secretaries who know the program. Thank goodness for the help of strangers!!!

Ask a Question