folder view settings won't stick

G

This is a strange problem. I'll try to describe as best I can. I am using WinXP Home. I recently noticed that some picture files in the "my pictures" folder were not set to the view option of thumbnail or filmstrip. I then proceeded to change the folder in question back from tile to thumbnail. This apparently worked, until I went back to My computer and opened it and noticed it had been changed from it's normal setting of tiles to thumbnail. This also had the domino effect on some other folders. I then proceeded to change those back to "tile" and then going back to the "My pictures" folder, I noticed it had lost it's setting of thumbnail, which was set back to tile. This has gone on and on, with me having to reset the folders back to default many, many times which does not work either. Another thing that will happen sometimes is when setting a picture folder to thumbnail, it will change a folder such as "program files" to thinking it is a picture "type" folder. The only way I was able to reset that was to again hit the reset to default button. Another thing I noticed is that if I navigate to "my computer", starting with the "C" drive and then make my way to the "my pics" folder, the settings seem to be fine, but if I use any other method, such as the my docs folder on the desktop or on the start menu, the settings will almost always be screwed up or changed. I thought it might be incredimail, which is the only new software, besides Nero which I have installed recently, but after uninstalling incredimail, it did not help. At this moment, it seems to be working normally, but it has done that many times and then will get screwed up again for no apparent reason. I am not a computer dummy, but this one has me confused. Any ideas? Thanks

Sta

K

Kaylene aka Taurarian

The Default for Windows XP is to remember the view settings for the 400 most
recently used folders.
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
Line #2 – Increase Folder View Size Limit to 8000

I believe that this tweak is also available in the latest version of TweakUI. If
you decide to use Powertoys - make sure you use the correct version for your
system.

Powertoys for Win XP Pro
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp
Powertoys for Win XP Home
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/downloads/powertoys.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...c8-8b63-4c03-8986-d7f45a6aa1fa&DisplayLang=en
Powertoys for Windows XP
The Tweak UI PowerToy requires Windows XP Service Pack 1 (or higher) or Windows
Server 2003 (any version). It will not install on any other versions of Windows.

skhyatt said:
This is a strange problem. I'll try to describe as best I can. I am using
WinXP Home. I recently noticed that some picture files in the "my pictures"
folder were not set to the view option of thumbnail or filmstrip. I then
proceeded to change the folder in question back from tile to thumbnail. This
apparently worked, until I went back to My computer and opened it and noticed it
had been changed from it's normal setting of tiles to thumbnail. This also had
the domino effect on some other folders. I then proceeded to change those back
to "tile" and then going back to the "My pictures" folder, I noticed it had lost
it's setting of thumbnail, which was set back to tile. This has gone on and on,
with me having to reset the folders back to default many, many times which does
not work either. Another thing that will happen sometimes is when setting a
picture folder to thumbnail, it will change a folder such as "program files" to
thinking it is a picture "type" folder. The only way I was able to reset that
was to again hit the reset to default button. Another thing I noticed is that if
I navigate to "my computer", starting with the "C" drive and then make my way to
the "my pics" folder, the settings seem to be fine, but if I use any other
method, such as the my docs folder on the desktop or on the start menu, the
settings will almost always be screwed up or changed. I thought it might be
incredimail, which is the only new software, besides Nero which I have installed
recently, but after uninstalling incredimail, it did not help. At this moment,
it seems to be working normally, but it has done that many times and then will
get screwed up again for no apparent reason. I am not a computer dummy, but this
one has me confused. Any ideas? Thanks.

G

I did try increasing the limit to 2000 and it did the same thing. I will try to bump it to 8000, but it still doesn't make sense as to why changing a "view" setting in one folder should affect the "type" of folder in another folder. My "My Music" folder now thinks it is a picture "type" folder. Thanks for your reply. I will try 8000 and see what happens.

Ask a Question