Windows XP Firefox Problems Anyone?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Just wondered whether anyone else is having problems with Firefox throwing up error messages to say that it has "encountered an error and needs to close" :confused:

I've used FF since last year, currently I'm using Version 2.0.0.3. The error has happened twice this morning, and once yesterday. Each time I sent off an "error report" which came back with the info that it was a FF problem and that I needed to update it. However, when I checked for updates, FF said that there were none to be had. Ho-hum :rolleyes:

Each time it happened, I had about four, maybe five tabs open. Last time, I they were two PCR tabs and Yahoo mail ..... don't suppose that is particularly relevant, but thought I'd be specific ;) Oh yes, and it has happened on both laptops, which are using the same FF versions.

Specs:
Rock QuaddraXT, XP Pro, SP2, P4, 2.66GHz 2.67GHz, 512Mb RAM
Fujitsu Siemens XP Home, SP2, Celeron M, 1.60GHz 1.59GHz, 512MB RAM (the cruncher)

Thanks for reading:D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... and it has happened on both laptops, which are using the same FF versions
I would deduce a FF 'problem' in that case. :D

Do you have any "add-ons" in FF ... they need to be also checked for updates.

Is IE ok ? ;)

:user:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hi Mucks, I only have "Talkback" and that is up to date, but not 'enabled'... ooops! (thank you for mentioning add-ons, I wouldn't otherwise have thought to look :blush: )

I'm not sure about IE, because I so rarely use it - only for Microsoft updates.

Oh - I was just looking at the FF Error Console ... not investigated that previously, there seems to be quite a few listed, but they are not dated, so I don't know how long they have taken to accumulate? Hmmm... :rolleyes:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I should have said "Warnings" - sorry, mainly "Error in parsing value for property 'CURSOR' Declaration dropped."

The actual Errors read: Error: uncaught exception: Permission denied to call method Location.toString
There are three of those.

Stupid of me not to include that info first time, sorry again Mucks :)

muckshifter

Reaction score
Well, if you have 'talkback' then FF are getting the feedback from you ... they may even 'fix' it.

How it works: A Talkback binary is packaged up with the Firefox browser binary. When the browser crashes, the Talkback application is triggered and it offers the user the option to participate. If a user says no then nothing happens. If a user agrees to help the Mozilla effort by submitting crash data then she is prompted with optional fields for including her e-mail address, the URL that triggered the crash and a comment. That user-entered data along with a stacktrace of the crash is sent to a Talkback server at Netscape which is accessible to many of the Mozilla developers. In aggregate, all of the crash data can very quickly point out specific problems being encountered by large groups of users. A small team of engineers pour through these aggregate reports and turn them into bugzilla bugs with good debug information which leads to quick fixing of the most high-profile stability problems. To see some of these bugs, query bugzilla for the keywords topcrash and topcrash+

What else: Talkback is not spyware, adware or anything of the like. Users are clearly prompted and asked to submit the report. User data unrelated to the Mozilla crash isn't at all useful to us. We only care about making Mozilla more stable. If you don't want to help Mozilla and Firefox become more stable by submitting your crash reports then don't. No data is being sent without your explicit consent. I'd encourage anyone that wants to see this browser improve to submit those reports. They are very, very helpful. But, like I said, if you don't want to, then don't. Just remember that we can't fix the bugs we can't identify. If you're happy seeing the same crash over and over then don't worry about sending in that report.
:D

:thumb:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Taffycat said:
I should have said "Warnings" - sorry, mainly "Error in parsing value for property 'CURSOR' Declaration dropped."

The actual Errors read: Error: uncaught exception: Permission denied to call method Location.toString
There are three of those.

Stupid of me not to include that info first time, sorry again Mucks :)
ah, that looks like an error on the particular website ... hence the reason for seeing it on both Lappies.

I'll look further for you ... looks like a java script error ... is your Java up-to-date ? http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Be aware, I hate this crud, and damned if I can get it to work "properly" in Vista ... but at least I don't see any errors. :D

:thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thank you Mucks, I have now re-enabled Talkback (I'd completely forgotten that I had it, and cannot think why it was disabled...probably a senior-moment at some point. I feel daft now :rolleyes: )

I think I shall console myself by heading over to your Bouncy Castle in Crunchers Corner :lol:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Woops, our posts "crossed again" - regarding your query about Java, yes, it updated itself just a couple of days ago. Looks like a bit of a co-incidence, doesn't it :nod:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Taffycat said:
Thank you Mucks, I have now re-enabled Talkback (I'd completely forgotten that I had it, and cannot think why it was disabled...probably a senior-moment at some point. I feel daft now :rolleyes: )

I think I shall console myself by heading over to your Bouncy Castle in Crunchers Corner
laughingsmiley.gif
It is raining at the moment ... is why I said 'water' was involved ... also got a huge paddling pool (adults only) ;) just for the days festivities.

Also have few of those big umberelas, so you can stay dry if you wish. :D

Just about to pop over there myself ... :thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Taffycat said:
Woops, our posts "crossed again" - regarding your query about Java, yes, it updated itself just a couple of days ago. Looks like a bit of a co-incidence, doesn't it :nod:

My brain seems to be thinking in "installments" today :rolleyes: but I also recall having a "Quicktime" update which happened shortly after Sun Java. Probably not related, but again, thought it might be worth mentioning :)

Reaction score
Hi Taffycat :)

I used to use Firefox but i had so many problems with it i had to uninstall it :( and that was a shame because i loved the interface, i now use Maxthon 2 beta5 , its a brilliant browser !

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hi Fizz, sorry to hear about your FF problems, I like it a lot, and normally it runs efficiently on both PCs, so this was a bit of an exception. Hopefully, now that I've enabled Talkback it will find the glitch - if it happens again :rolleyes:

Maxthon sounds interesting, but reckon I'll be inclined to wait until it's out of beta before giving it a go ;) Thanks for the suggestion though :thumb: :D

muckshifter

Reaction score
Taffycat said:
My brain seems to be thinking in "installments" today :rolleyes: but I also recall having a "Quicktime" update which happened shortly after Sun Java. Probably not related, but again, thought it might be worth mentioning :)
Sorry TC, that's another "program" not permitted near my Windows boxes ... I do use everything in Linux though. ;)

I'm one who is all for any program that auto-updates itself ... what I don't have time for is these websites that insist on using the "plug-in-players" to shove adverts in your face ... here is where KIS comes into its own, it does a grand job blockin most of this crud. oops, I'm waffling. :blush:

:user:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Actually Mucks, I would agree with you. I dislike those ads too (and bless the person who invented the pop-up blocker
nod.gif
) KIS does sound good though, and I might well give that a try when we get the new PC (still in the "pre-building phase" at present ... otherwise known as a queue methinks ;) )

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i get the odd crash but thats usually when i have 200 odd tabs open (yes i really do open that many) and it becomes unstable for some reason

Ask a Question