Finding the interest rate.

Kevin W

So present value = future value / (1+discount rate)^n where n is the number
of compounding periods.

If I have PV, FV, and n, I assume I use the RATE formula to get the interest
rate. I keep getting #NUM. Any suggestions?

Thank you

Jim Cone

You also need the amount of the fixed payment entered as a negative value.
See Excel help on "Rate".
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

"Kevin W"
wrote in message
So present value = future value / (1+discount rate)^n where n is the number
of compounding periods.
If I have PV, FV, and n, I assume I use the RATE formula to get the interest
rate. I keep getting #NUM. Any suggestions?
Thank you

Fred Smith

The Rate function is the one you want, and will work with correct data.

FV and PV need opposite signs. Did you do that?

If you need more help, post your formula.

Regards,
Fred

Fred Smith

Rate will work with a zero PMT. Also, PMT can be positive if, for example,
you are accumulating money rather than paying off a loan.

Regards,
Fred.