Finding Next Largest Number Based on Criteria

D

djc

I have a problem that is stumping me. In cells A1 through A10, I have numbers 1-10. In cells B1-B10 I have corresponding identifiers, Apples, Oranges, Pears. It looks like this

A B

1 Apples
2 Apples
3 Oranges
4 Oranges
5 Apples
6 Pears
7 Oranges
8 Pears
9 Oranges
10 Apples

I need a formula that I can copy down that looks in column B for "Oranges" and returns the corresponding number that is next largest above the number it already found. The result would look like below...

Any feedback would be most helpful. Thank you

B

Ben McClave

There may be an easier way, but this late into the night this is the method I came up with. Assuming your data is in cells A1:B10, you would enter this as an array formula (CTRL+Shift+Enter)into cell C1 and copy it down to cell C10.

=IF(COUNTIF($B$1:$B$10, "Oranges")>= ROW(A1), SMALL(IF($B$1:$B$10="Oranges", $A$1:$A$10, 10^308), ROW(A1)), "")

Good luck

Ben

D

djc

There may be an easier way, but this late into the night this is the method I came up with. Assuming your data is in cells A1:B10, you would enter this as an array formula (CTRL+Shift+Enter)into cell C1 and copy it down to cell C10.

=IF(COUNTIF($B$1:$B$10, "Oranges")>= ROW(A1), SMALL(IF($B$1:$B$10="Oranges", $A$1:$A$10, 10^308), ROW(A1)), "")

Good luck

Ben

It works! Thank you Ben

Ask a Question