    into degrees so that I can then label the regression line in degrees, for
    example, 45 degrees?

    My thanks for any ideas. Brad

    Brad, Jun 21, 2006

  2. Brad wrote on Wed, 21 Jun 2006 15:52:26 -0500:

    B> Is there any way, using this built-in Excel feature, to
    B> convert the result into degrees so that I can then label the
    B> regression line in degrees, for example, 45 degrees?

    You could display the equation of the trend line where the
    coefficient of X is the slope tho' I believe it would be more
    accurate, in earlier versions of Excel, to use LINEST to get the
    slope; slope:=INDEX(LINEST(known_y's,known_x's),1). Then all you
    have to do is convert the slope, which is the tangent of an
    angle, to the angle = DEGREES(ATAN(SLOPE)). See LINEST and other
    worksheet functions in HELP.

    James Silverton.

    James Silverton, Jun 21, 2006

  3. The functions SLOPE and INTERCEPT give the m and c of y=mx+c, respectively
    Suppose A1 and B1 have text such as X and Y, while A2:A10 have the x-values
    and B2:B10 have the y-values
    In D2, I entered =SLOPE(B2:B10,A2:A10) and get a slope value (in my example
    it was 2)
    Now this slope is the tangent of the line; so ATAN(D2) will tell me the
    angle
    But like most computer programs,Excel thinks of angles in radians (the only
    'pure' measure to use)
    If I want degrees I need to convert the result to degrees; let's do it all
    in one cell with formula =DEGREES(ATAN(D2))
    Or it I want to be very clever I could use a single cell with
    =DEGREES(ATAN(SLOPE(B2:B10,A2:A10)))
    The answer displays as 75.96376
    If I want to see degrees, minuets an second I will visit Chip's site at
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/latlong.htm and re-learn how to do it (I
    actually like decimal values)
    best wishes

    --