Finding and Creating Assemblies?!? fuslogvw

M

Mark Olbert

I am trying to track down an annoying and deep-seated bug in a custom designer for a custom component.

In the course of trying to figure out why certain errors are occuring I ran fuslogvw to see exactly what assemblies are being loaded
when my application loads into VS2003.

I was astonished to see that an assembly I no longer use/reference in the project gets loaded. I was even more astonished to see
that the framework went back and re-created the directory structure of the project which used to create the "old" assembly, and
plopped a copy of the old assembly into it.

Why is this happening? How do I stop it? What do I do in the future to keep stale/old assemblies from being re-introduced to my
projects?

- Mark

L

Luke Zhang [MSFT]

Hello Mark,

If you open the original project in VS.NET 2003, re-compile the whole
solution, will this fix the problem? Also, is it possible that the assembly
was not referenced directly, but referenced by an assembly which referenced
by your project?

Luke

M

Mark Olbert

Luke,

No, recompiling/rebuilding doesn't solve the problem. It turns out the culprit was a deployment project which referenced the
"phantom" assemblies. Why the deployment project would force recreation of the phantom assemblies' directory structure is bizarre,
but eliminating the phantom assemblies from the deployment project solved the problem.

- Mark

Ask a Question