Find a string match in a column

I am wanting to find a string from a column which matches my variable. I
modified this code of Tom Ogilvy's in a related answer

For Each cell In rngA
res = Application.Match("*" & cell.Value & "*", rngB, 0)
If Not IsError(res) Then
Set rng = rngB(res)
rng.Offset(0, 1).Value = cell
End If

For Each cell In rngA
res = Application.Match(myVar, MyRng)
If Not IsError(res) Then
myCode
End If
next

but I get a number in res that in fact is a blank cell. Can't work out what
is happening. Any help appreciated.

Jim Cone

You omitted the third argument in the function.
Add comma, zero after MyRng
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Matilda"
<[email protected]>
I am wanting to find a string from a column which matches my variable. I
modified this code of Tom Ogilvy's in a related answer

For Each cell In rngA
res = Application.Match("*" & cell.Value & "*", rngB, 0)
If Not IsError(res) Then
Set rng = rngB(res)
rng.Offset(0, 1).Value = cell
End If

For Each cell In rngA
res = Application.Match(myVar, MyRng)
If Not IsError(res) Then
myCode
End If
next

but I get a number in res that in fact is a blank cell. Can't work out what
is happening. Any help appreciated.

Bob Phillips

Try using

res = Application.Match(myVar, MyRng,0)

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

Hi Jim,

I tried that, but get a type mismatch error. I'm obviously on the wrong
wavelength here. I assumed that Match would return a number (row number) if
the cell being examined contained a string maatching the variable. The column
being searched contains strings, not dates or numbers, so can't work out what
is happening.

Many thanks

Jim Cone

res should be declared as a Variant.