UL_Details Memo
UL_User Text (len 3)

Pertinent status codes are:
DSP = DSP
ENR = 10-17
ARR = 10-23
CLR = 10-8

The event launching the code is the double click event of a text box and
will set the status code to 10-8 (since that is what we are trying to do).

Sample data (RCN omitted as it is an autonumber):
==================================================
UNIT STS TIME DATE CCNO DETAILS
USER
644 DSP 19:31 12-09-07 2007-000007
ADM
644 10-17 19:31 '' '' '' '' ''
''
715 10-17 19:31 '' '' '' '' ''
''
610 10-17 19:41 '' '' '' '' ''
''
644 10-23 19:46 '' '' '' '' ''
''
705 10-17 19:51 '' '' '' '' ''
''
715 10-23 19:54 '' '' '' '' ''
''
610 10-23 19:56 '' '' '' '' ''
''
644 LOG 19:57 '' '' '' '' ''
CNCL 715 ''
715 10-8 19:57 '' '' '' '' ''
''
==================================================

With the above data, on double click of the text box on the main form should
result in identifying that units 644, 715, and 610 are still not cleared,
target those units, and add a new record to the unit log table showing each
of those units 10-8 at the current time.

Hope that helps, thanks.

Jeanette Cunningham said:
Scott,
we need to avoid using Last in the query because Last is unreliable.
I have done some work on this, getting closer, but need a little more info.
What values do you have in tbl_UnitLog for UL_CCNo - post the values for
Units 101, 103 and 105 please.

I assume you have a table with status that includes 10-8 and the other
values that replace DSP, ARR etc. Please post the table name and field
name(s).

"Scott Whetsell, A.S. - WVSP"
Jeanette,

I do feel that we are moving in the right direction. My issues just seem
to
be more specific because they are more industry specific. I tried the new
code that you had posted and it does detect and return a single record for
each unit, however it is not excluding the units whose status is 10-8. I
had
changed the select string some and I am getting the correct results, I
just
don't know what to do with it to add the records.

===== MY CODE =====

strSQL = "SELECT tbl_UnitLog.UL_CCNo, tbl_UnitLog.UL_Unit, " & _
"Last(tbl_UnitLog.UL_STS) AS LastOfUL_STS" & _
"FROM tbl_UnitLog" & _
"GROUP BY tbl_UnitLog.UL_CCNo, tbl_UnitLog.UL_Unit" & _
"HAVING (((tbl_UnitLog.UL_CCNo)=[Me].[CFS_CCNo]) AND
((Last(tbl_UnitLog.UL_STS))<>sts))"

=================

Is there a way to target the results of the query, ie.
For each record in strSQL add .rst info.

I am using the .rst command throughout other parts of the program to add
data to tbl_UnitLog.

Or is that the wrong direction for what we are trying to do here?

Thanks

Scott,
hope you get the feeling that we are making progress, because I do.

My target table is tbl_UnitLog
Fields are: UL_Unit, UL_CCNo, UL_Sts, UL_Time, UL_Date, UL_Details,
UL_User

Just to clarify that I am understanding your last post in the way you
intended -
Using the code below, you can get the query string, paste it into a new
query and it returns records - is this bit correct?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
strSQL = "SELECT DISTINCT tbl_UnitLog.UL_Unit, tbl_UnitLog.UL_CCNo " _
& "FROM tbl_UnitLog " _
& "WHERE tbl_UnitLog.UL_Sts <> ""10-8"" And tbl_UnitLog.UL_CCNo
=
"""
& Me.CFS_CCNo & """"
Debug.Print "strSQL: " & strSQL
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the above bit is correct than we can continue.
If tbl_UnitLog has the field Sts with 10-8 instead of CLR then
If the code above correctly returns records from the Debug.Print
string,
then the correct update query is

strSQL = "INSERT INTO tbl_UnitLog ( UL_Unit, UL_CCNo ) " _
& "SELECT DISTINCT tbl_UnitLog.UL_Unit, tbl_UnitLog.UL_CCNo " _
& "FROM tbl_UnitLog " _
=""
" & Me.CFS_CCNo & """"
dbs.Execute strSQL, dbFailOnError

Try this exact code above and post back.

Jeanette Cunningham

Sorry for the confusion. We are in the process of normalizing the
status
codes used, and I can programmatically change the input to the proper
codes.

Appropriately used for clear will be 10-8.

The following query code worked for locating the appropriate records,
but
I
am getting and error on running the Insert command that the number of
query
values and destination fields are not the same. I arrived at the code
below
by troubleshooting your code in a new query.

===========code===========
Set dbs = CurrentDb
Dim strSQL As String
Dim sts As String
sts = "10-8"
strSQL = "INSERT INTO tbl_UnitLog (UL_Unit,UL_CCNo)" & _
"SELECT tbl_UnitLog.UL_CCNo, tbl_UnitLog.UL_Unit,
Last(tbl_UnitLog.UL_STS) AS LastOfUL_STS" & _
"FROM tbl_UnitLog" & _

Me.UnitLogSub.Requery
=========================

J

Jeanette Cunningham

Scott,
I have got it working in a sample database. (feeling exhilarated!)

I have put a button called cmdAddRecs on my main form.
I have put a subform control called Child13 on my main form.

Here is the code for the click event of cmdAddRecs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Private Sub cmdAddRecs_Click() Dim strSQL As String Dim dbs As DAO.Database Set dbs = DBEngine(0)(0)strSQL = "INSERT INTO tbl_UnitLog ( UL_Unit,UL_CCNo ) " _ & "SELECT DISTINCT tbl_UnitLog.UL_Unit, tbl_UnitLog.UL_CcNo " _ & "FROM tbl_UnitLog " _ & "WHERE tbl_UnitLog.UL_CCNo = """ & Me.[Child13].Form.CFS_CCNo & """ "_ & "AND tbl_UnitLog.UL_Unit Not In " _ & "(SELECT a.UL_Unit " _ & "FROM tbl_UnitLog As a INNER JOIN tbl_UnitLog AS b ON a.UL_Sts=b.UL_Sts " _ & "WHERE b.UL_Sts=""10-8"")"' Debug.Print Me.[Child13].Form.CFS_CCNo' Debug.Print strSQL dbs.Execute strSQL, dbFailOnError set dbs = nothingEnd Sub-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------You will need to change Child13 to the name of your subform controlJeanette Cunningham"Scott Whetsell, A.S. - WVSP"<[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]...> Jeanette,>> The status codes are derived from another table, but the code itself is> stored in the Unit Log table as text. Here are my fields in the Unit Log> table and their types.>> Field Type> UL_RCN Autonumber (PK)> UL_Unit Text (len 100)> UL_CCNo Text (len11)> UL_Sts Text (len 6)> UL_Date Date/Time (format: yyyy-mm-dd)> UL_Time Date/Time (format: hh:mm)> UL_Details Memo> UL_User Text (len 3)>> Pertinent status codes are:> DSP = DSP> ENR = 10-17> ARR = 10-23> CLR = 10-8>> The event launching the code is the double click event of a text box and> will set the status code to 10-8 (since that is what we are trying to do).>> Sample data (RCN omitted as it is an autonumber):> ==================================================> UNIT STS TIME DATE CCNO DETAILS> USER> 644 DSP 19:31 12-09-07 2007-000007> ADM> 644 10-17 19:31 '' '' '' '' ''> ''> 715 10-17 19:31 '' '' '' '' ''> ''> 610 10-17 19:41 '' '' '' '' ''> ''> 644 10-23 19:46 '' '' '' '' ''> ''> 705 10-17 19:51 '' '' '' '' ''> ''> 715 10-23 19:54 '' '' '' '' ''> ''> 610 10-23 19:56 '' '' '' '' ''> ''> 644 LOG 19:57 '' '' '' '' ''> CNCL 715 ''> 715 10-8 19:57 '' '' '' '' ''> ''> ==================================================>> With the above data, on double click of the text box on the main formshould> result in identifying that units 644, 715, and 610 are still not cleared,> target those units, and add a new record to the unit log table showingeach> of those units 10-8 at the current time.>> Hope that helps, thanks.>>> "Jeanette Cunningham" wrote:>>> Scott,>> we need to avoid using Last in the query because Last is unreliable.>> I have done some work on this, getting closer, but need a little moreinfo.>> What values do you have in tbl_UnitLog for UL_CCNo - post the values for>> Units 101, 103 and 105 please.>>>> I assume you have a table with status that includes 10-8 and the other>> values that replace DSP, ARR etc. Please post the table name and field>> name(s).>>>>>>>>>>>>>> "Scott Whetsell, A.S. - WVSP">> <[email protected]> wrote in message>> news:[email protected]...>> > Jeanette,>> >>> > I do feel that we are moving in the right direction. My issues justseem>> > to>> > be more specific because they are more industry specific. I tried thenew>> > code that you had posted and it does detect and return a single recordfor>> > each unit, however it is not excluding the units whose status is 10-8.I>> > had>> > changed the select string some and I am getting the correct results, I>> > just>> > don't know what to do with it to add the records.>> >>> > ===== MY CODE =====>> >>> > strSQL = "SELECT tbl_UnitLog.UL_CCNo, tbl_UnitLog.UL_Unit, " & _>> > "Last(tbl_UnitLog.UL_STS) AS LastOfUL_STS" & _>> > "FROM tbl_UnitLog" & _>> > "GROUP BY tbl_UnitLog.UL_CCNo, tbl_UnitLog.UL_Unit" & _>> > "HAVING (((tbl_UnitLog.UL_CCNo)=[Me].[CFS_CCNo]) AND>> > ((Last(tbl_UnitLog.UL_STS))<>sts))">> >>> > =================>> >>> > Is there a way to target the results of the query, ie.>> > For each record in strSQL add .rst info.>> >>> > I am using the .rst command throughout other parts of the program toadd>> > data to tbl_UnitLog.>> >>> > Or is that the wrong direction for what we are trying to do here?>> >>> > Thanks>> >>> >>> >>> > "Jeanette Cunningham" wrote:>> >>> >> Scott,>> >> hope you get the feeling that we are making progress, because I do.>> >>>> >> My target table is tbl_UnitLog>> >> Fields are: UL_Unit, UL_CCNo, UL_Sts, UL_Time, UL_Date, UL_Details,>> >> UL_User>> >>>> >> Just to clarify that I am understanding your last post in the way you>> >> intended ->> >> Using the code below, you can get the query string, paste it into anew>> >> query and it returns records - is this bit correct?>>>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->> >> strSQL = "SELECT DISTINCT tbl_UnitLog.UL_Unit, tbl_UnitLog.UL_CCNo " _>> >> & "FROM tbl_UnitLog " _>> >> & "WHERE tbl_UnitLog.UL_Sts <> ""10-8"" Andtbl_UnitLog.UL_CCNo>> >> =>> >> """>> >> & Me.CFS_CCNo & """">> >> Debug.Print "strSQL: " & strSQL>>>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------>> >> If the above bit is correct than we can continue.>> >> If tbl_UnitLog has the field Sts with 10-8 instead of CLR then>> >> If the code above correctly returns records from the Debug.Print>> >> string,>> >> then the correct update query is>> >>>> >> strSQL = "INSERT INTO tbl_UnitLog ( UL_Unit, UL_CCNo ) " _>> >> & "SELECT DISTINCT tbl_UnitLog.UL_Unit, tbl_UnitLog.UL_CCNo "_>> >> & "FROM tbl_UnitLog " _>> >> & "WHERE tbl_UnitLog.UL_Sts <> ""10-8"" Andtbl_UnitLog.UL_CCNo>> >> ="">> >> " & Me.CFS_CCNo & """">> >> dbs.Execute strSQL, dbFailOnError>> >>>> >> Try this exact code above and post back.>> >>>> >> Jeanette Cunningham>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >> "Scott Whetsell, A.S. - WVSP">> >> <[email protected]> wrote in message>> >> news:[email protected]...>> >> > Sorry for the confusion. We are in the process of normalizing the>> >> > status>> >> > codes used, and I can programmatically change the input to theproper>> >> > codes.>> >> >>> >> > Appropriately used for clear will be 10-8.>> >> >>> >> >>> >> > The following query code worked for locating the appropriaterecords,>> >> > but>> >> > I>> >> > am getting and error on running the Insert command that the numberof>> >> > query>> >> > values and destination fields are not the same. I arrived at thecode>> >> > below>> >> > by troubleshooting your code in a new query.>> >> >>> >> >>> >> > ===========code===========>> >> > Set dbs = CurrentDb>> >> > Dim strSQL As String>> >> > Dim sts As String>> >> > sts = "10-8">> >> > strSQL = "INSERT INTO tbl_UnitLog (UL_Unit,UL_CCNo)" & _>> >> > "SELECT tbl_UnitLog.UL_CCNo, tbl_UnitLog.UL_Unit,>> >> > Last(tbl_UnitLog.UL_STS) AS LastOfUL_STS" & _>> >> > "FROM tbl_UnitLog" & _>> >> > "GROUP BY tbl_UnitLog.UL_CCNo, tbl_UnitLog.UL_Unit" & _>> >> > "HAVING (((tbl_UnitLog.UL_CCNo)=[Me].[CFS_CCNo]) AND>> >> > ((Last(tbl_UnitLog.UL_STS))<>sts))">> >> > dbs.Execute strSQL, dbFailOnError>> >> >>> >> > Me.UnitLogSub.Requery>> >> > =========================>> >>>> >>>> >>>>>>>>

S

Scott Whetsell, A.S. - WVSP

Sorry for the delay, see my prev post for the info.

Scott,
we need to using Last in a query because it is unreliable.
I have built myself the tbl_UnitLog and tblUnitSts
To solve this issue we need to your table with the values for Status.
Can you please post the details of your table that has 10-8 and what ever
the other values are for ARR

Jeanette,

I do feel that we are moving in the right direction. My issues just seem
to
be more specific because they are more industry specific. I tried the new
code that you had posted and it does detect and return a single record for
each unit, however it is not excluding the units whose status is 10-8. I
had
changed the select string some and I am getting the correct results, I
just
don't know what to do with it to add the records.

===== MY CODE =====

strSQL = "SELECT tbl_UnitLog.UL_CCNo, tbl_UnitLog.UL_Unit, " & _
"Last(tbl_UnitLog.UL_STS) AS LastOfUL_STS" & _
"FROM tbl_UnitLog" & _

=================

Is there a way to target the results of the query, ie.
For each record in strSQL add .rst info.

I am using the .rst command throughout other parts of the program to add
data to tbl_UnitLog.

Or is that the wrong direction for what we are trying to do here?

Thanks

Scott,
hope you get the feeling that we are making progress, because I do.

My target table is tbl_UnitLog
Fields are: UL_Unit, UL_CCNo, UL_Sts, UL_Time, UL_Date, UL_Details,
UL_User

Just to clarify that I am understanding your last post in the way you
intended -
Using the code below, you can get the query string, paste it into a new
query and it returns records - is this bit correct?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
strSQL = "SELECT DISTINCT tbl_UnitLog.UL_Unit, tbl_UnitLog.UL_CCNo " _
& "FROM tbl_UnitLog " _
=
"""
& Me.CFS_CCNo & """"
Debug.Print "strSQL: " & strSQL
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the above bit is correct than we can continue.
If tbl_UnitLog has the field Sts with 10-8 instead of CLR then
If the code above correctly returns records from the Debug.Print
string,
then the correct update query is

strSQL = "INSERT INTO tbl_UnitLog ( UL_Unit, UL_CCNo ) " _
& "SELECT DISTINCT tbl_UnitLog.UL_Unit, tbl_UnitLog.UL_CCNo " _
& "FROM tbl_UnitLog " _
=""
" & Me.CFS_CCNo & """"

Try this exact code above and post back.

Jeanette Cunningham

Sorry for the confusion. We are in the process of normalizing the
status
codes used, and I can programmatically change the input to the proper
codes.

Appropriately used for clear will be 10-8.

The following query code worked for locating the appropriate records,
but
I
am getting and error on running the Insert command that the number of
query
values and destination fields are not the same. I arrived at the code
below
by troubleshooting your code in a new query.

===========code===========
Set dbs = CurrentDb
Dim strSQL As String
Dim sts As String
sts = "10-8"
strSQL = "INSERT INTO tbl_UnitLog (UL_Unit,UL_CCNo)" & _
"SELECT tbl_UnitLog.UL_CCNo, tbl_UnitLog.UL_Unit,
Last(tbl_UnitLog.UL_STS) AS LastOfUL_STS" & _
"FROM tbl_UnitLog" & _

Me.UnitLogSub.Requery
=========================

S

Scott Whetsell, A.S. - WVSP

Jeanette,

I put the code into my database, and it runs without error. However I do
not see the new records which should be created. They are not populated
after the requery command on my form, and do not appear in my table.

I don't know how relevant it is, but i am using a fe and be.

Scott

Scott,
I have got it working in a sample database. (feeling exhilarated!)

I have put a button called cmdAddRecs on my main form.
I have put a subform control called Child13 on my main form.

Here is the code for the click event of cmdAddRecs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Private Sub cmdAddRecs_Click() Dim strSQL As String Dim dbs As DAO.Database Set dbs = DBEngine(0)(0)strSQL = "INSERT INTO tbl_UnitLog ( UL_Unit,UL_CCNo ) " _ & "SELECT DISTINCT tbl_UnitLog.UL_Unit, tbl_UnitLog.UL_CcNo " _ & "FROM tbl_UnitLog " _ & "WHERE tbl_UnitLog.UL_CCNo = """ & Me.[Child13].Form.CFS_CCNo & """ "_ & "AND tbl_UnitLog.UL_Unit Not In " _ & "(SELECT a.UL_Unit " _ & "FROM tbl_UnitLog As a INNER JOIN tbl_UnitLog AS b ON a.UL_Sts=b.UL_Sts " _ & "WHERE b.UL_Sts=""10-8"")"' Debug.Print Me.[Child13].Form.CFS_CCNo' Debug.Print strSQL dbs.Execute strSQL, dbFailOnError set dbs = nothingEnd Sub-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------You will need to change Child13 to the name of your subform controlJeanette Cunningham"Scott Whetsell, A.S. - WVSP"<[email protected]>
wrote in messageJeanette,>> The status codes are derived from another table, but the code itself is> stored in the Unit Log table as text. Here are my fields in the Unit Log> table and their types.>> Field Type> UL_RCN Autonumber (PK)> UL_Unit Text (len 100)> UL_CCNo Text (len11)> UL_Sts Text (len 6)> UL_Date Date/Time (format: yyyy-mm-dd)> UL_Time Date/Time (format: hh:mm)> UL_Details Memo> UL_User Text (len 3)>> Pertinent status codes are:> DSP = DSP> ENR = 10-17> ARR = 10-23> CLR = 10-8>> The event launching the code is the double click event of a text box and> will set the status code to 10-8 (since that is what we are trying to do).>> Sample data (RCN omitted as it is an autonumber):> ==================================================> UNIT STS TIME DATE CCNO DETAILS> USER>
644 DSP 19:31 12-09-07 2007-000007> ADM> 644 10-17 19:31 '' '' '' '' ''> ''> 715 10-17 19:31 '' '' '' '' ''> ''> 610 10-17 19:41 '' '' '' '' ''> ''> 644 10-23 19:46 '' '' '' '' ''> ''> 705 10-17 19:51 '' '' '' '' ''> ''> 715 10-23 19:54 '' '' '' '' ''> ''> 610 10-23 19:56 '' '' '' '' ''> ''> 644 LOG 19:57 '' '' '' '' ''> CNCL 715 ''> 715 10-8 19:57 '' '' '' '' ''> ''> ==================================================>> With the above data, on double click of the text box on the main formshould> result in identifying that units
code that you had posted and it does detect and return a single recordfor>> > each unit said:
"Jeanette Cunningham" wrote:>> >>> >> Scott,>> >> hope you get the feeling that we are making progress, because I do.>> >>>> >> My target table is tbl_UnitLog>> >> Fields are: UL_Unit, UL_CCNo, UL_Sts, UL_Time, UL_Date, UL_Details,>> >> UL_User>> >>>> >> Just to clarify that I am understanding your last post in the way you>> >> intended ->> >> Using the code below, you can get the query string, paste it into anew>> >> query and it returns records - is this bit correct?>>>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->> >> strSQL = "SELECT DISTINCT tbl_UnitLog.UL_Unit, tbl_UnitLog.UL_CCNo " _>> >> & "FROM tbl_UnitLog " _>> >> & "WHERE tbl_UnitLog.UL_Sts <> ""10-8"" Andtbl_UnitLog.UL_CCNo>> >> =>> >> """>> >> & Me.CFS_CCNo & """">> >> Debug.Print "strSQL: " & strSQL>>>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------>> >> If the above bit is correct than we
can continue.>> >> If tbl_UnitLog has the field Sts with 10-8 instead of CLR then>> >> If the code above correctly returns records from the Debug.Print>> >> string said:
Appropriately used for clear will be 10-8.>> >> >>> >> >>> >> > The following query code worked for locating the appropriaterecords,>> >> > but>> >> > I>> >> > am getting and error on running the Insert command that the numberof>> >> > query>> >> > values and destination fields are not the same. I arrived at thecode>> >> > below>> >> > by troubleshooting your code in a new query.>> >> >>> >> >>> >> > ===========code===========>> >> > Set dbs = CurrentDb>> >> > Dim strSQL As String>> >> > Dim sts As String>> >> > sts = "10-8">> >> > strSQL = "INSERT INTO tbl_UnitLog (UL_Unit,UL_CCNo)" & _>> >> > "SELECT tbl_UnitLog.UL_CCNo, tbl_UnitLog.UL_Unit,>> >> > Last(tbl_UnitLog.UL_STS) AS LastOfUL_STS" & _>> >> > "FROM tbl_UnitLog" & _>> >> > "GROUP BY tbl_UnitLog.UL_CCNo, tbl_UnitLog.UL_Unit" & _>> >> > "HAVING (((tbl_UnitLog.UL_CCNo)=[Me].[CFS_CCNo]) AND>> >> > ((Last(tbl_UnitLog.UL_STS))<>sts))">> >> > dbs.Execute strSQL, dbFailOnError>> >> >>> >> >
Me.UnitLogSub.Requery>> >> > =========================>> >>>> >>>> >>>>>>>>

J

Jeanette Cunningham

Scott,
so we're not quite there yet, a bit disappointing, but that's how it goes.
The code definitely puts records in the table in the sample database I
created here.

Here is how to troubleshoot it.
find the following 2 lines

Debug.Print Me.[Child13].Form.CFS_CCNo
Debug.Print strSQL
Make sure that you have the correct name for your subform control in the
strSQL code and in the Debug.Print line
make sure that the control for the field CCNo is called CFS_CCNo
now change the line Debug.Print Me.[Child13].Form.CFS_CCNo
to
Debug.Print Me.[Name of your subform control].Form.[CFS_CCNo with correct
name]
and uncomment both of the debug.print lines

In one of your earlier posts I understood that the subform had a control
called CFS_CCNo - I'm trying to check that is correct and that the code can
find the value for CCNo from your subform.

run the code in the usual way and then open the immediate window
does your form find the value for CCNo?
try the query string in a new query, what happens?

Jeanette Cunningham

Ask a Question