files and folder

Arsen

this is my network share \\users\*.*
I have about 200 user folders in \\users\
I want to be able to allow everyone to get into \\users but disable the
inheritance to the all the child folders within \\users
is there a fast way of doing this, instead of visiting every single folder
within \\users.

Jeremy Winston

Arsen said:
this is my network share \\users\*.*
I have about 200 user folders in \\users\
I want to be able to allow everyone to get into \\users but disable the
inheritance to the all the child folders within \\users
is there a fast way of doing this, instead of visiting every single folder
within \\users.

How are the perms on each user folder set right now?

If you end up needing to visit each user's folder, use a command script.
E.g.,

REM ----- Begin script -----
cd \\users
for /d %%u in (*) do call :chgperms %%u
goto :eof

:chgperms
cacls %1 /T /E /C /G DOMAIN\%1:F

REM ----- End script -----

where "DOMAIN" is your domain, &
%%u is substitued with the name of the users' directories, one
at a time, and I assume the user's userid and directory name
are identical.
If you want to verify that this will do what you want without changing anything,
change the cacls line to
@echo cacls %1 /T /E /C /G DOMAIN\%1:F

HTH,
-Jeremy

Joe Griffin [MSFT]

You need to check on policies and "bypass traverse checking". Unless I
misunderstand what you are trying to do, you are doing this the hard way.
Please review the following KB Articles, maybe they will assist.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;308419
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;277644

If you need further assistance, I suggest you post the question in active
directory. This is an Active Directory Policy issue.

Joe Griffin [MS]
Windows 2000 Server Setup Team

From: "Arsen" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: files and folder