File transfer on dual boot setup

G

I have just installed XP Pro on my computer in a dual boot capacity. Windows 98SE on C and XP on second hard drive
Now I need to transfer files or application to new drive. On 98SE I have used Windows explorer to accomplish this with drag and drop to set up a copy or short cut produced using the dual pane. Opening file in the right pane and sclling in left to do the transfer. The my computer fuction only gives you a single pane so can't use it to transfer. The only solution I have found is to boot 98se tranfer with explorer and reboot to pro and open the file such as setup.exe for the app. Is there a simpler way or the equivalent on pro.

A

Adam Turner

DOS command prompt but you'll have to dismount the inactive drive.
Adam Turner

I have just installed XP Pro on my computer in a dual boot capacity. Windows 98SE on C and XP on second hard drive.
Now I need to transfer files or application to new drive. On 98SE I have used Windows explorer to accomplish this with drag and drop to set up a copy or short cut produced using the dual pane. Opening file in the right pane and sclling in left to do the transfer. The my computer fuction only gives you a single pane so can't use it to transfer. The only solution I have found is to boot 98se tranfer with explorer and reboot to pro and open the file such as setup.exe for the app. Is there a simpler way or the equivalent on pro.

R

Ron Sommer

In Windows Explorer, View, Toolbars, check Folders.
--
Ron Sommer

DOS command prompt but you'll have to dismount the inactive drive.
Adam Turner

I have just installed XP Pro on my computer in a dual boot capacity. Windows
98SE on C and XP on second hard drive.
Now I need to transfer files or application to new drive. On 98SE I have
used Windows explorer to accomplish this with drag and drop to set up a copy
or short cut produced using the dual pane. Opening file in the right pane
and sclling in left to do the transfer. The my computer fuction only gives
you a single pane so can't use it to transfer. The only solution I have
found is to boot 98se tranfer with explorer and reboot to pro and open the
file such as setup.exe for the app. Is there a simpler way or the equivalent
on pro.

A

Alex Nichol

allan said:

Open one My Computer pane on the source and do *not* have it maximised -
click the middle button at top right and drag the sides in to a
convenient one, and a similar window on the destination. Then drag
things across. Note that Programs may need to be reinstalled to a new
home, so as to get all the registry entries pointing to the right place:
simply copying them will not do this

Ask a Question