File Synchronization Software

Anyone know of some good file synchronization software between machines?

I've been using Windows Briefcase, but it tends to corrupt its database now
and then, can't be scheduled and requires a special top level "briefcase"
folder.

I've tried SyncToy 1.4, but it can't process empty directories . i.e.
rename a folder and SyncToy will leave it and all its subs empty. Briefcase
however will delete th empty tree structure.

I've looked at RoboCopy, but without a history of files, it can only mirror
one way and therefore can't keep two machines syncronized.

DFSR (within Windows Server 2003 R2) does a great job, but it requires:
a) all storage disks be owned by the server (so Windows XP is out)
b) the servers need to be in the same forest

Offline Files can only handle one source and one target. I wan't to
syncronize three machines.

Any suggestions?

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Bob,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, there are lots of third party file sync utilities from the
internet for your reference:
BeInSync
http://www.beinsync.com/aw_beinsync1.php?rfrid=adwords_12szi_file-synchroniz
ation-software&gclid=CLbroPqZ-4sCFRyCTAodymnAXg

SmartSync Pro
http://www.smsync.com/

Note: This response contains reference to some third party World Wide Web
sites. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you.
Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or
information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any
representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any
software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use
of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make
sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software
from the Internet.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: =?Utf-8?B?Qm9i?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: File Synchronization Software
| Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 11:07:04 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
|
| Anyone know of some good file synchronization software between machines?
|
| I've been using Windows Briefcase, but it tends to corrupt its database
now
| and then, can't be scheduled and requires a special top level "briefcase"
| folder.
|
| I've tried SyncToy 1.4, but it can't process empty directories . i.e.
| rename a folder and SyncToy will leave it and all its subs empty.
Briefcase
| however will delete th empty tree structure.
|
| I've looked at RoboCopy, but without a history of files, it can only
mirror
| one way and therefore can't keep two machines syncronized.
|
| DFSR (within Windows Server 2003 R2) does a great job, but it requires:
| a) all storage disks be owned by the server (so Windows XP is out)
| b) the servers need to be in the same forest
|
| Offline Files can only handle one source and one target. I wan't to
| syncronize three machines.
|

| Any suggestions?
| --
| Bob

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Bob,

I am just writing to see how everything is going. If you have any updates
or need any further assistance on this issue, please feel free to let me
know.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: (e-mail address removed) ("Ken Zhao [MSFT]")
| Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 04:24:05 GMT
| Subject: RE: File Synchronization Software
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
|
| Hello Bob,
|
| Thank you for using newsgroup!
|
| From your post, there are lots of third party file sync utilities from
the
| internet for your reference:
| BeInSync

http://www.beinsync.com/aw_beinsync1.php?rfrid=adwords_12szi_file-synchroniz
| ation-software&gclid=CLbroPqZ-4sCFRyCTAodymnAXg
|
| SmartSync Pro
| http://www.smsync.com/
|
| Note: This response contains reference to some third party World Wide Web
| sites. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you.
| Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or
| information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any
| representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any
| software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the
use
| of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make
| sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any
software
| from the Internet.
|
| Thanks & Regards,
|
| Ken Zhao
|
| Microsoft Online Support
| Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
|
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| ====================================================
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| ====================================================
rights.

| --------------------
| | From: =?Utf-8?B?Qm9i?= <[email protected]>
| | Subject: File Synchronization Software
| | Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 11:07:04 -0700
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
| |
| | Anyone know of some good file synchronization software between machines?
| |
| | I've been using Windows Briefcase, but it tends to corrupt its database
| now
| | and then, can't be scheduled and requires a special top level
"briefcase"
| | folder.
| |
| | I've tried SyncToy 1.4, but it can't process empty directories . i.e.
| | rename a folder and SyncToy will leave it and all its subs empty.
| Briefcase
| | however will delete th empty tree structure.
| |
| | I've looked at RoboCopy, but without a history of files, it can only
| mirror
| | one way and therefore can't keep two machines syncronized.
| |
| | DFSR (within Windows Server 2003 R2) does a great job, but it requires:

| | a) all storage disks be owned by the server (so Windows XP is out)
| | b) the servers need to be in the same forest
| |
| | Offline Files can only handle one source and one target. I wan't to
| | syncronize three machines.
| |
| |
| | Any suggestions?