File size increases after every save!

Vivek Kumar

Hi all,

I've been facing a problem for the last few days.

I have a few powerpoint presentations which are large in size due to
some heavy images. To reduce the file size, I decided to reduce the
images' sizes. I reduced their resolution, saved them in a lower
quality and re-inserted them after deleting the previous images.

The problem is, every time I save the file, it shows an increase in
file size rather than decrease!

After trying to sort out the problem for a while, I decided to test it
without making any changes to the file. And then, every time I saved
the file (without making any changes) the file size increased.

My initial guess was that this was because Powerpoint was tracking the
changes so that if I undo them, it can get the old version. But in
that case, the file size should have reduced after I closed the file.
Unfortunately, that was not the case.

However, if I saved the .ppt file as .pps, it showed a decrease in
file size. This was expected under normal circumstances of course.

But I still dont know why Poerpoint increases the file size after
every save, and keeps it at the same increased file size even after
closing the file.

Could someone please throw some light on this?

Thanks

Glen Millar

Hi,

You must have "Allow Fast Saves" turned on in the Tools| Options| Save
section. As I understand it, it appends data to the existing file (well,
that makes sense to me, anyway), allowing the file size to bloat.

Glen Millar
Microsoft PPT MVP
http://www.powerpointworkbench.com/
Please tell us your ppt version, and get back to us here
Remove spaces from signature
Posted to news://msnews.microsoft.com