file permission strangeness

frank

On a windows 2000/sp4 server I am experiencing the following inexplicable
behavior:

The local Administrators group has the following members: administrator,
xdom\domain admins, xdom\admin, ydom\domain admins.

d:\ (root folder) owner is Administrators, Everyone has full control.
d:\data folder Everyone has full control.

Logged into the server console as administrator, clicking the 'security' tab
on explorer properties for the d:\data folder displays 'You only have
permission to view the current security information on data.' and I cannot
take ownership (although owner is displayed as 'administrators')?!? And I
cannot write files to this folder.

I get the same blockage logged into the console as the local administrator
and domain admin accounts. I tried removing and re-adding the domain admin
account to the local 'administrators' group, but no change. What is causing
this behavior?

-Frank Brown
http://www.inwa.net/~frog/

Steven L Umbach

Run the command "net localgroup administrators" to see if the local
administrators group membership is what you expect and verify that you are
indeed logged on as the local administrator and not a decoy account renamed
administrator and also make sure that you are not a member of a group that
has deny permissions to that folder being sure to also check advanced
permissions. Try running Check Disk on that computer in case there is some
sort of problem with corruption of the disk. See if you have the same
problem to the d:\root folder. What you describe can happen with domain
accounts if there is a problem with the servers secure channel or domain
computer account but if that is the case the local administrator account
"should" work. Run the support tool netdiag on that server while logged on
as a domain account to see if any pertinent problems are reported such as
dns, dc discovery, or trust/secure channel.. --- Steve

frank

OK the problem turned out to be caused by the folder being held open by a
service which was blocking access. Stopping the service freed up access.
The permissions were actually fine. -Frank

Steven L Umbach

Hi Frank.

Glad you got it sorted out and thanks for reporting back what the problem
was. Don't know if I have ever heard about that one before. --- Steve

Frank,

Could you provide a little more detail as to what service was "holding" a
folder open? I'm running into a similar problem, but I've never heard of a
service holding a folder open and then creating permissions issues.

Thanks

Dan

frank

The server runs a program called Replistor (vendor Legato) which syncronizes
files between 2 servers - what makes it special is that it works with open
files such as database files. Replistor runs 2 services: 'Replistor Server'
and 'Replistor Control Service'. When I stopped Replistor it resolved my
problem. It's possible the permissions error that the OS threw was slightly
misleading.

HTH-Frank

Joined
Feb 19, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I had exactly the same problem. It was being caused bt Veritas Storage Replicator services running. Stopped those services and could then make permission changes.

frank said:
The server runs a program called Replistor (vendor Legato) which syncronizes
files between 2 servers - what makes it special is that it works with open
files such as database files. Replistor runs 2 services: 'Replistor Server'
and 'Replistor Control Service'. When I stopped Replistor it resolved my
problem. It's possible the permissions error that the OS threw was slightly
misleading.

HTH-Frank

news:[email protected]...