Windows XP File Open windows

Reaction score
Bit of an odd one this. Only started happening recently. In several programs, when I use File>Open, the display is now always in Large Icon mode. Used to be in my preferred List mode. And that is still how those same folders open in Explorer/My Computer.

FWIW, the programs doing this all seem to be 'movie editing' apps of one sort or another, like Womble MPG Editor Wizard, VideoRedo, TMPG Enc 3.0 XPress, TDA 1.6, MemoriesOnTV. Other programs, like IrfanView, TextPad, etc, still present the Open list in List mode by
default.

Anyone have any idea what might be causing this and how to fix it please?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Reaction score
Bit of an odd one this. Only started happening recently. In several programs, when I use File>Open, the display is now always in Large Icon mode. Used to be in my preferred List mode. And that is still how those same folders open in Explorer/My Computer.

Anyone have any idea what might be causing this and how to fix it please?

Also, in case it's related, XP (SP1) is no longer remembering the view mode I have set, despite having that option enabled. I've also followed instructions I found in various places to look for these keys and delete them if present:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags

(And similarly under ShellRoam.)

They were both present, under both Shell and ShellRoam. I deleted them. (And added new values under the Shell and ShellRoam, as per the instructions.) But on reboot they had returned.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Ask a Question