File & Folder Security

G

Hello al

I desperately need a solution for my File Server (Windows 2003), I have a folder by name Project which has to be shared by a group called Cad Users.
All Cad users can access the folder open sub folders , execute the cad files , modify them and save back the file but they are not supposed to delete the file or move the file to a different location

Please help me in detai

Regard

Zai

S

Steven L Umbach

Modifying of files if often a create new/delete old file operation which gives users
the ability to delete and move files. If they can not do their work with
read/list/execute/write permissions then you don't have much choice. If users are
creating and modifying only their own files, you could try to give the general group
read/list/execute/write permissions and the give creator owner modify permissions and
then users would only be able to modify and delete their own files based on
ownership.

Windows 2003 has the ability to restore deleted files on a share if you have shadow
copy enabled which may help your situation as described in the link below. You can
also enable auditing of object access on the server and then audit the folder for
file deletion and look in the security log to see what user is deleting files, though
it is not a real user friendly way to do it as you will have to look through a lot of
events but the info will be there. Also keep in mind that deleted files can often be
recovered by a third party file recovery utility.--- Steve

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/storage/technologies/shadowcopy/default.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/guidance/secmod144.mspx -- how to audit
and what to look for.

Zain said:
Hello all

I desperately need a solution for my File Server (Windows 2003), I have a folder by
name Project which has to be shared by a group called Cad Users.
All Cad users can access the folder open sub folders , execute the cad files ,
modify them and save back the file but they are not supposed to delete the file or
move the file to a different location.

Ask a Question