G

So I'm currently going through microsoft support, but if someone knows what
to do....

I just reformatted my computer and I backed up the old files and settings
over the network using windows file and settings transfer wizard. For some
reason when I try to restore the data after having installed windows, It
tells me I am running a previous version an suggests I use the CD...blah
blah, it doesn't help. I downloaded the hotfix for teh 32 --> 64 bit
problem....didn't help. What can I do to get my files back?

S

Sean

Chuck said:
So I'm currently going through microsoft support, but if someone knows
what
to do....

I just reformatted my computer and I backed up the old files and settings
over the network using windows file and settings transfer wizard. For
some
reason when I try to restore the data after having installed windows, It
tells me I am running a previous version an suggests I use the CD...blah
blah, it doesn't help. I downloaded the hotfix for teh 32 --> 64 bit
problem....didn't help. What can I do to get my files back?

Hey Chuck!

I had this problem this morning....and read your post because I couldn't
figure this out at all! I was just about to do the manual extraction of the
DAT file with the FASTconv utility explained @
http://www.geocities.com/bbacle2003/, but I wanted to know WHAT broke it so
I could help you and anyone else out of this jam MS has given us!

Here's what I did. Reformated (yes, a pain), reinstalled ONLY SP2, and then
did the F.A.S.T (file and system transfer) and it worked! This was from an
external USB 2.0 Hard drive too!

A minute ago I was just about to do an update via Windows Update and saw
that the hotfix for the 32 -> 64 bit was listed. I had that HOTFIX
installed on my previously FAILED ATTEMPT! That "hotfix" broke F.A.S.T.
for me. If there's a way to uninstall it, i haven't figured it out yet
(wouldn't uninstall from Add/Remove, nor from Windows UPdate...someone else
may have better luck, or try System Restore).

IF YOU HAVE THE HOTFIX installed, uninstall it! It worked for me! If that
doesn't work, Format, reinstall XP with SP2 ONLY, then do a F.A.S.T.
restore. Then do the updates from Windows Update but watch out for that
"hotfix" for 32->64bit F.A.S.T !!!!

G

With that FASTConv utility you can only yank files out of the store, anybody
know how you can get the "user settings" section out of it?

DanO

Reaction score
F.A.S.T. Wizard

i am having a similar issue and have tried using the fanstconv tool with no success this is the third time this has happened to me but this time i actually need the info, so will try everything you have said to try on a host machine so that i can at least get the files i need. i also cannot see the hot fix mentioned does it come by another name because there are many of them in my add remove programmes list

Regards
Stephen

Reaction score
given up all is not lost i had my own backup

short of being unprofessional and throwing in the towel i have in fact restored all the info from a back up i made using a flat file system backup i do not trust this file and settings transfer any longer

ALWAYS BACK UP IMPORTANT FILES

stephen latimer said:
i am having a similar issue and have tried using the fanstconv tool with no success this is the third time this has happened to me but this time i actually need the info, so will try everything you have said to try on a host machine so that i can at least get the files i need. i also cannot see the hot fix mentioned does it come by another name because there are many of them in my add remove programmes list

Regards
Stephen

Reaction score
As posted on:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com...96-2115-4567-a011-a829c53c5a86/?prof=required

OK, so I have spent the past 4 nights at home researching this issue and I have discovered a few things. Firstly ALL is NOT lost and you CAN restore your files. But it will take time.

My scenario is I had an XP Home with SP 1 installed. I'd backed up the XP files using the MigWiz.exe (Files and Settings Transfer Wizard). I then wiped the disk and installed W7. I attempted to restore the files using MigWiz.exe (MigWiz.exe Ver. 5.1.2600.1106) but W7 would not recognise the files (.dat). I'd backed them up to an external USB drive so the path was E:\LaptopBackup\USMT2.UNC

So, I got myself another XP machine (XP Professional this time XP SP1 [or 1a as it is known] ) and attempted to restore the files.

This is what I discovered: the version of XP in my case didn't matter; however the service pack did matter. I tried with earlier service packs to restore the .dat files but to no avail. I grabbed XP SP3, installed it and retried with the MigWiz.exe Ver. 6.4.760.16385 - this worked, but is still taking ALL NIGHT to restore my 56Gbs worth of data.

I got the MizWiz.exe Ver. 5.1.2600.1106 from an XP Home SP1 CD.
I got the MizWiz.exe Ver. 5.1.2600.2180 from an XP Home SP2 CD.
I got the MizWiz.exe Ver. 5.1.2600.5512from an XP Professional SP3 CD (installed SP3).

My W7 install has: MizWiz.exe Ver. 6.4.760.16385 so don't even think about using this to try to restore your XP files.

Forget alternative tools and I struggled with them and opted to get the MigWiz.exe GUI.

Note that I was using a USB share and could not restore the files from a local drive. Others may have had some sucess but I did not. Not only that but also, you cannot point the MigWiz.exe directly to the USMT2.UNC folder, if you do, it will fail. For example, you cannot point it to E:\LaptopBackup\USMT2.UNC

Instead, you have to point it to the directory above, the parent directory. In my case it was: E:\LaptopBackup\

As I'm always happy to chip in with support queries (maybe even send you the MigWiz.exe files) you can email me directly:

adam [at] cappsie [dot] com - no spam thanks!

All the best,
Adam.

Ask a Question