http://members.iinet.net.au/~allenbrowne/func-06.html

The example includes the Description property as an example of accessing
properties as well.

To export, you could write these to a table and then TransferSpreadsheet, or
just use Open and Print # to write them straight to a csv file which Excel
can read.

J

Jeff Conrad

I created an Access Add-In called the "John Viescas Table Documentor" that does exactly this. It is
even easier to use than the built-in Access Documentor and creates a slick report right in your
database that you can just open again any time right from the Database Window. It will list each
table and its field properties in an easy-to-read format.You could customize the report even more to
your liking if you desire.

Once installed all you have to do is Tools | Add-Ins | John Viescas Table Documentor. Poof! After a
few seconds a slick report is displayed on the screen. In a nut shell the Add-In creates a new key
table in your database, loops through each table (including linked ones) grabbing the information
needed, writes all this information to the key table, creates the report entirely in code, saves it,
and then displays it on the screen for you. That report can be opened again at any time since it is
saved as a new report object in your database. Easy as pie!

I am awaiting word back from John about the possibility of having him post it on his web site where
anyone can download it. In the meantime I do not believe he would have a problem if I sent you a
copy. If you do wish to have a copy please let me know where you would like it sent to (please mung
the e-mail address so you won't get spammed). There is one version for Access 97 and one for 2000
which works with 2000, 2002, and 2003.

T

Tom Wickerath

Hi Jeff,

I'd like to test drive a copy of your "John Viescas Table Documenter" for Access 2000/2002/2003.

Thanks,

Tom Wickerath
AOS168 At comcast DOT net

I created an Access Add-In called the "John Viescas Table Documentor" that does exactly this. It
is
even easier to use than the built-in Access Documentor and creates a slick report right in your
database that you can just open again any time right from the Database Window. It will list each
table and its field properties in an easy-to-read format.You could customize the report even more
to
your liking if you desire.

Once installed all you have to do is Tools | Add-Ins | John Viescas Table Documentor. Poof! After
a
few seconds a slick report is displayed on the screen. In a nut shell the Add-In creates a new
key
table in your database, loops through each table (including linked ones) grabbing the information
needed, writes all this information to the key table, creates the report entirely in code, saves
it,
and then displays it on the screen for you. That report can be opened again at any time since it
is
saved as a new report object in your database. Easy as pie!

I am awaiting word back from John about the possibility of having him post it on his web site
where
anyone can download it. In the meantime I do not believe he would have a problem if I sent you a
copy. If you do wish to have a copy please let me know where you would like it sent to (please
mung
the e-mail address so you won't get spammed). There is one version for Access 97 and one for 2000
which works with 2000, 2002, and 2003.

J

Jeff Conrad

Hi Tom,

Sure, I'd be happy to send along a copy.
Just unzip the MDA file into your Office/Access directory. Then use the Add-In Manager to install it
(you may need to browse for the file). That's it. Just launch it on any database by doing:
Tools | Add-Ins | John Viescas Table Documentor
A new report object will be created in your database along with a table that holds the information.
You can customize the report more if you like.

Included with your selection today at no extra charge I'm throwing in a copy of my Access Matching
Games program which includes the Access MVP Matching Game. If you have kids this should keep them
entertained for a while. (This is not an Add-In, just a program you can launch by opening it).
:)

Let me know if you do not receive the files and/or if you have any problems.
Hope you like it!

J

Jamie Collins

Allen Browne said:
loop through the Fields of the TableDef
The example includes the Description property as an example of accessing
properties as well.

To export, you could write these to a table and then TransferSpreadsheet, or
just use Open and Print # to write them straight to a csv file which Excel
can read.

Alternatively, use ADO's OpenSchema method to return a *recordset* of
schema information about the tables/columns. A recordset can be a