Feedback For Window Live Mail Desktop

RSS feeds are a pain to work with.
Yes it is really cool that Windows now supports a unified RSS store but none
of the three apps that use the store (IE7, Outlook and now Desktop Mail)
honor any folder layouts that might be in an OPML file you import. So I had
to spend the better part of an hour resetting all my feeds in Desktop Mail;
which isn't carried over to either of the other two apps using the store.
URL links in all three sections are barfed
It appears that the URL's in the preview pane just don't want to play nice.
In emails and newsgroups they just don't want to work period. In RSS feeds
clicking a link in the post body opens Explorer with the My Documents folder
loaded, but clicking in the post topic in the headers will launch the link in
your browser.
Toolbars can't be modified
In OE you can add/remove toolbar buttons by selecting the Customize menu
item on the right-click context menu. In WLDM there is no option to change
the available toolbar buttons.
System tray icon
PLEASE!!! .. why oh why are they still using that old icon. After looking at
the new UI it is almost painful to see that old icon showing new mail in the
system tray.
New mail/post indicators in treeview listing
Unless you have all the areas of the treeview listing expanded; and any sub
folders, you have no way of telling if new mail and/or posts have arrived.
Please guys even if it is only bold text give us some way of being notified
that new newsgroups post, RSS feed posts have arrived even when the treeview
sections are collapsed to their roots folders.
Newsgroup polling.
From what I can tell even if you have the newsgroup set to poll for new
posts at the same time as your mail check it doesn't.
Highlight quoting for replies
Any newsreader worth its salt (MesNews, XanaNews to mention a couple) lets
you select (highlight) a section of text that you want to use as quoted text
in your reply to said post. Can it really be so hard to implement?
RSS feed stylesheets
One of the common features found is just about every quality RSS client is
the ability to customize the the way the feeds are displayed using
stylesheets. That option doesn't exist in WLDM and while it may seem like a
small thing it may send folks back to using their regular readers instead.
Blog It
Hey folks not everyone uses MSN Spaces as their blog home. I can understand
the need to integrate support for it and I congratulate you on going this far
- it's a cool idea, but how about supporting other blogging engines as well.
Send/Receive action
Actually this complaint can also fall back to OE as well. Why is it if you
have newsgroup accounts as well as email that when you click the Send/Receive
toolbar button that it only checks your email accounts, even when you have
the newsgroups set to sync at the same time. Doesn't this sorta strike you as
a Duh! type of thing?
Mark All Read for newsgroups.
Why is this such a pain to do. The treeview context menu doesn't even have
the option when a newsgroup is selected. The message list pane context menu
doesn't have it; unless you Ctrl-A to select all the messages and then the
Mark Read option is enabled. So for future reference remember the
Ctrl-Shift-A keyboard shortcut (like that's even intuitive)
Intermittent freezing with no real hint as to why.
I left WLDM running all night since its install and when I turned on the
monitor this morning to settle down with my coffee to read my mail etc I
discovered that WLDM had decided at some point to use 100% of the CPU and
freeze up my system. Task Manager showed that it definitely wasn't play nice
but after I killed off the process the system return to normal. I have also
noticed that at various times WLDM will just freeze up and then after a few
seconds; or so it seems, it returns to its normal responsive self. I haven't
been able to figure out why this is happening.

The Lynxy

reddevils said:
[...]
From what I can tell even if you have the newsgroup set to poll for new
[...]

This certainly is alot to think about, and I'm sure some Microsoft Dev's are
reading it as well. But it is a beta test, only recently released unlike
Windows Live Mail. There are many, many things I do not like about WLMD,
but Microsoft is hard at work trying to make it more user friendly.

A few things I don't like: Headers in some messages are messed up bad,
'Search Email' box only searches your current folder, which is sort of nice.
I have no scrollbar in messages formatted in Plain Text, the folders list
was disabled for me by defaul. Newsgroup syncing is a pain. The Junk Mail
folder doesn't download any messages from the server.

Alot of the things you said, I'm sure they will be fixing. Like the option
to customize toolbars. I also really hope they fix some parts of the UI,
like the tray icon and the send/receive box. A new GUI should be applied to
everything imo.

- Charles