Fat 32 Or NTFS

mikeyluke

Hello People.

Just figured how to boot my new hard drive. (THANKS!!!) I have 2 quic
questions.
The new HD came formatted in FAT32. My c:/ drive is formatted in NTFS
Should I format my new HD in NTFS? I have already done this and I hope
haven't made a mistake.
BTW my d:/ drive (recovery drive) is FAT32.
Which is faster, an external HD with high speed USB 2.0 or a HD wit
a firewire connection?

mike

EvilNem

NTFS is good for security and sharing permissions on a network, probably
better to have both NTFS if you're using the secondary as a recovery.

E.

Jonny

mikeyluke said:
Hello People.

Just figured how to boot my new hard drive. (THANKS!!!) I have 2 quick
questions.
The new HD came formatted in FAT32.

Interesting. Most new hard drives come unpartitioned, and unformatted.
Some external boxes with hard drives installed come partitioned and
formatted.
My c:/ drive is formatted in NTFS.
Should I format my new HD in NTFS? I have already done this and I hope I
haven't made a mistake.

As long as you're using software that recognizes that file format. There
are 3 versions of NTFS to date.
BTW my d:/ drive (recovery drive) is FAT32.
Which is faster, an external HD with high speed USB 2.0 or a HD with
a firewire connection?

There is less overhead in the OS for firewire. Firewire 400 speed
(100/400/800) and USB2.0 are about the same in speed. There is less common
help for firewire because of lack of popularity of use. Some reports of
firewire loss noted in XP SP2 install, and a few subsequent critical updates
noted in windowsxp.general newsgroup. Mine is still working fine.

mikeyluke

Jonny said:
"mikeyluke" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message

[...]

Jonny,

Sorry to leave out the fact that my hard drive is an external Iomega
HDD harddrive. The drive came with Automatic Backup PRO & Folder Share
software. Man I'm such a newbie. Should I partition my new external
HD, or what.

If so, how?

mikey