I wonder if there is a command line which controls the
shutdown time. In case there is one could it be used for
win98 also? Please write in detail if you will. Thanx

D

David Candy

What do you mean. You can set a long shutdown time with
shutdown -t 99
(shutdown in 99 secs)

However it isn't in 2000 only XP (it is in 2000's Server Resource Kit Tools) so you'll have to steal it from XP.

I doubt it will work on 98 but it might.

I think tsshutdn is in Windows 2000. I've not used it but it apparantly will shutdown a local computer.

D

Dave Patrick

And for the win9x put this line in your shortcut's 'Target'
C:\Windows\Rundll.exe user.exe,exitwindows
(no idea why I would remember this)

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| Hi all!
| I wonder if there is a command line which controls the
| shutdown time. In case there is one could it be used for
| win98 also? Please write in detail if you will. Thanx

G

-----Original Message-----
And for the win9x put this line in your shortcut's 'Target'
C:\Windows\Rundll.exe user.exe,exitwindows
(no idea why I would remember this)

PLEASE explain this procedure MORE. Thanks.

D

David Candy

The first three sections are from Tweak95 available on the downloads page. The fourth section is changes with Win98.

Shut Down Windows
A command to exit Windows 95. This can only be used to shutdown, not restart or exit to msdos. To exit to msdos type ExitToMsDos which runs the Pif file of the same name. Place command in a shortcut or batch file.

C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32.EXE user.exe,ExitWindowsRestart Windows
To restart Windows copy Exit To Dos.pif (the pif part is hidden) and copy and rename it to Restart Windows. Edit the Program Sheet in the properties Change the command line to:

C:\WINDOWS\command.com /C exitMake sure Close On Exit is checked. On the Advanced dialog check Use Current MSDos Configuration to exit and restart Windows without rebooting. Check Warn Before Entering MSDos Mode if confirmation is required before exiting and restarting. MSDos Mode must be checked.

An alternative way is to use the ExitWindowsExec function. This exits to MSDos to run a program, but as no program is given Windows restarts. Tpye into a shortcut or Start - Run dialog box.

C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL.EXE user.exe,ExitWindowsExecShut Down Dialog Box
This reg file will set the default choice in the Shut Down dialog box. Windows 95B and IE4 remember the last setting chosen, so to set the default for these versions (rather than the last action) add the following command line to C:\Windows\Winstart.bat (create Winstart.bat if necessary). Remember to use the short filke name.

Regedit C:\<Path to Reg File>\ShutDown.RegOr this command line to a shortcut and put it in the StartUp folder.

Regedit /s C:\<Path to Reg File>\ShutDown.RegREGEDIT4
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]
'1=first choice in dialog box, 2=second choice, ect.
"Shutdown Setting"=dword:00000001
Via the SHExitWindowsEx
Using the User.exe & User32.dll Exit Windows functions doesn't allow any control over what type of shutdown is preformed as parameters aren't passed, they operate as if 0 is passed - which is shutdown for ExitWindows and Logoff for ExitWindowsEx. An undocumented function SHExitWindowsEx in Shell32.dll which is what Explorer seems to use does take parameters.

rundll32.exe shell32.dll,SHExitWindowsEx [optional number in hex]Action Value in Hex
EWX_LOGOFF 0
EWX_SHUTDOWN 1
EWX_REBOOT 2
EWX_FORCE 4
EWX_POWEROFF
for machines that turn off their own power 8

These values can be added together, eg, 5 is shutdown and force applications to close and an implicit logoff.

Note their is no Restart without rebooting. This requires a parameter of 42 (hex) to be passed to ExitWindows in User.exe. This can't be done from the command line. See tip above for a work around.

Collapse section

--
----------------------------------------------------------
'Not happy John! Defending our democracy',
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html

Dave Patrick said:
Calls the function 'exitwindows' within user.exe This may also help.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];164787

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

|
| PLEASE explain this procedure MORE. Thanks.

N

n.c.

Oh My God, My God, My God! What a mess! Give me the
easiest and the fastest one. My M.S. degree is not in
computer science.
======================================================

N

n.c.

Hello, I want to make it LONGER, but in a easier way. I'm
not a computer science major (My major is Math.) Please
give me a concise and short way to do so.

M

Mark V

In said:
Hello, I want to make it LONGER, but in a easier way. I'm
not a computer science major (My major is Math.) Please
give me a concise and short way to do so.

I think this is the first time I've ever heard anyone request to make
the Shutdown process _slower_! The "Why?" might be helpful. As would
whether you mean
delay the start of the shutdown
or
make the shutdown take longer to complete (once it has been initiated)

Or if all that is wrong perhaps you can explain in greater detail for
the benefit of the readers what it is you wish to accoplish.

G

Mark, I appreciate your response. First lets make it
clear that I do not write this for the benefit of the
readers as you mentioned. I have problem with one of my
pcs I have win98 on that and it shuts down so fast that
I cannot save any works done.
Now, if you can help do so. Otherwise let other helps.
Again I thank you for the response.

A

Al Dunbar [MS-MVP]

readers as you mentioned. I have problem with one of my

You might not have appreciated that Mark's reason for responding was that
the lack of the *why* factor made it impossible to help you in your
particular situation. The above additional information should help, but...

I don't understand. If it shuts down so fast that you cannot save your work,
why not save your work before you shut down?

/Al

N

n.c.

A simple question on fast shutdown, and then, you know...
piddling around as *why?*. Are you trying to make me
sorry to ask you this question?
I know that I have to save my works before closing, etc.
I did but on the next time it came with a corrupted or
unsaved works.
I know my problem is fast shutdown; let's concentrate on
this and come to a solution?

M

Mark V

In said:
readers as you mentioned.

Oh. Okay then, I will stop reading your posts. ;-)
I have problem with one of my

I will. Good luck.

YW.

M

Mark V

In said:
piddling around as *why?*. Are you trying to make me
unsaved works.

Delayed Write Disable?
Naw, never mind.

D

David Candy

It's a known 98 problem. But it's been years since I was last asked this.

Query the KB on
Win98 "fast shutdown"
There is a patch and it can also be disabled in MSConfig if unpatched (I think - can't remember the ins and outs of this issue). If you had of asked in the 98 groups they would all tell you off the top of their heads.

This is the general KB about shutdown. There is a hotfix as well for Fast Shutdown. From memory there is also a hardware issue as well where hard drives got too fast (but this may be same as the hotfix fix). But the 98 people deal with this

news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion

How to Troubleshoot Windows 98 Shutdown Problems

Q202633

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The information in this article applies to:

a.. Microsoft Windows 98
b.. Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SUMMARY
This article describes how to troubleshoot problems that may occur when you attempt to shut down and restart your computer.

Note that this information is also available in the Windows 98 Startup and Shutdown Troubleshooting Wizard. Microsoft recommends that you use this wizard, but this text-based article is available for your convenience. The Windows 98 Startup and Shutdown Troubleshooting Wizard is located at the following Microsoft Web site:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/windows/tshoot
For additional information about how to troubleshoot shutdown problems in Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me), click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Q273746 How to Troubleshoot Windows Me Shutdown Problems
NOTE: To more effectively search the Microsoft Knowledge Base, use keywords that relate to your issue when you search. If you are searching for troubleshooting information that is not referred to in this article, please try searching the Microsoft Knowledge Base again by using keywords that are listed in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
Q242450 How to Query the Microsoft Knowledge Base Using Keywords

MORE INFORMATION
Shutdown problems in Windows 98 can be caused by any of the following issues:

a.. Incompatible, damaged, or conflicting device drivers

b.. A damaged exit sound file

c.. Incorrectly configured or damaged hardware

To troubleshoot these issues perform the following steps in order, one at a time, testing after each step to determine if the issue is resolved. If the issue is not resolved, continue to the next step.
1.. If you have installed new hardware or software on your computer, uninstall it and check to see if your shut down problem is resolved. If it is, contact the manufacturer of the hardware or software.

2.. Start your computer in Safe mode and then shut down. If your computer does not shut down properly in Safe mode, there may be a compatibility issue between Windows 98 and your computer's BIOS. For additional information, contact your hardware manufacturer or visit the following Microsoft Web site:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/windows/topics/winme/hardware/bios.asp
3.. Determine whether a program in the Startup folder conflicts with the startup process. To do this:

1.. Click Start, click Run, type msconfig in the Open box, and then click OK.

2.. Click Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Group Items check box, click Apply, click OK, and then click Yes to restart your computer.

3.. Test to determine if the issue is resolved by restarting your computer. If your computer does not shut down correctly, skip to step 4. If your computer shuts down correctly, one of your startup programs is probably causing this issue. To determine which startup program is causing this issue, continue to the next step.

4.. Click Start, click Run, type msconfig in the Open box, and then click OK.

5.. On the Startup tab, click to select a check box for a startup program in the Named column, click OK, and then click Yes to restart your computer. Test to determine if the startup program that you disabled caused the issue and, if not, repeat steps D through E, but click to clear a different startup program check box in step E. When your computer does not start correctly, you have determined that the last startup program that you enabled is the cause of the issue.

NOTE: If the problem is not resolved after you disable startup programs, re-enable the startup programs by repeating steps A through B, and then click to select the Load Startup Group Items check box.

4.. Determine if the shutdown problem is caused by a command or a driver that loads automatically from the Win.ini, System.ini, Autoexec.bat, or Config.sys file. To do this:

1.. Click Start, click Run, type msconfig in the Open box, and then click OK.

2.. Click Selective Startup, and then click to clear the following check boxes:

a.. Process Win.ini file
b.. Process System.ini file
c.. Process Autoexec.bat file
d.. Process Config.sys file

NOTE: If any of these items are unavailable, that particular file does not contain any items to load.

3.. Click OK, and then click Yes to restart your computer. Test to determine if the issue is resolved by restarting your computer. If your computer does not shut down correctly, repeat steps A through C, but in step C, click to select the check boxes, and then continue to step 5.

5.. Disable fast shutdown. To disable fast shutdown, follow these steps:

1.. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Information.

2.. On the Tools menu, click System Configuration Utility.

3.. On the General tab, click Advanced.

4.. Click to select the Disable Fast Shutdown check box, click OK, and then click OK.

5.. Click Yes when you are prompted to restart your computer.

For additional information about disabling fast shutdown, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Q187607 How to Disable Fast Shutdown in Windows 98
Test to determine if the issue is resolved by restarting your computer. If your computer does not shut down correctly, continue to step 6.

6.. Determine if the shutdown problem is being caused by a damaged exit sound file. To do this:

1.. Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Sounds.

2.. Note the name and location of the Exit Windows sound, click Exit Windows in the Events box, and then click None in the Name box.

3.. Click OK, and then restart your computer.

Test to determine if the issue is resolved by restarting your computer. If your computer does not shut down correctly, repeat steps A through C, but restore your original Exit Windows sound in step B, and then continue to step 7. If the issue is resolved, your Exit Windows sound file is damaged and you must replace it.

7.. Disable some device drivers. Some of the most common device drivers that may cause problems are device drivers for sound cards, video adapters, and network adapters. Disable any devices in the following categories:

a.. Display adapters
b.. Floppy disk controllers
c.. Hard disk controllers
d.. Keyboard
e.. Mouse
f.. Network adapters
g.. PCMCIA socket
h.. Ports
i.. SCSI controllers
j.. Sound, video, and game controllers

To disable device drivers:

1.. Right-click My Computer on the desktop, click Properties, and then click the Device Manager tab.

2.. Double-click a device type, for example, Sound, Video, or Game Controllers.

3.. Click one of the listed devices, and then click Properties.

4.. Click to select the Disable In This Hardware Profile check box.

IMPORTANT: Record all of the devices that you disable so that you can enable them again later.

5.. Click OK, click OK, and then restart your computer.

Test to determine if the issue is resolved by restarting your computer. If your computer does not shut down correctly, repeat steps A through E, but disable a different hardware device in step D. Also, to test your video adapter, click Start, click Run, type msconfig, click OK, click Advanced, click to select the VGA 640x480x16 check box, and then click OK. If you disable your sound card, video adapter, and network adapter, but the issue is still not resolved, re-enable these devices by following steps A through E, but in step D, click to clear the Disable In This Hardware Profile check box, and then continue to step 8.

NOTE: If you are unable to change the video adapter by using these steps, change your video adapter driver to "Standard VGA." To do this:

1.. Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Display.

2.. Click Advanced on the Settings tab, and then click Change on the Adapter tab.

3.. Click Next, click Display a list of all the drivers in a specific location, so you can select the driver you want, and then click Next.

4.. Click Show All Hardware, click Standard Display Types in the Manufacturer box, click Standard Display Adapter (VGA) in the Models box, and then click Next.

5.. Click Yes, click Next, and then click Finish.

6.. Click Close, click Close, and then click Yes when you are prompted to restart your computer.

If the issue is resolved when you change your video adapter to the Standard VGA driver, contact your video adapter manufacturer to inquire about the availability of an updated Windows 98 video adapter driver.

For additional information about how to troubleshoot display problems, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Q127139 Troubleshooting Video Problems in Windows
8.. Determine if Advanced Power Management (APM) is causing the shutdown problem by disabling APM. (Note that not all computers have APM features.) To do this:

1.. Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, double-click System, and then click the Device Manager tab.

2.. Double-click System Devices to expand it.

3.. Double-click Advanced Power Management in the device list, and then click to select the Force APM 1.0 Mode and the Disable Power Status Polling check boxes on the Settings tab. If the settings are already enabled, disable them by clearing the check boxes.

4.. Click OK until you return to Control Panel, and then restart your computer.

Test to determine if the issue is resolved by restarting your computer. If your computer does not shut down correctly, repeat steps A through D, but click to clear the Force APM 1.0 Mode and the Disable Power Status Polling check boxes, and then continue to step 9.

9.. Determine if shutdown problems are being caused by virtual device driver (.vxd) files. To do this:

1.. Restart your computer, and while your computer restarts, press and hold CTRL until the Windows 98 Startup menu appears.

2.. Choose Step By Step Confirmation, and then press ENTER.

3.. Press Y when you receive each of the following prompts, and press N for all other prompts:

a.. Load Doublespace driver
b.. Process the system registry
c.. DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
d.. DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\IFSHLP.SYS
e.. Load the Windows graphical user interface
f.. Load all Windows drivers

4.. After all Windows drivers are loaded, you are prompted to load all static .vxd files, one at a time. Note each static .vxd file name, and respond with "No" to avoid loading each file. The following list is a partial list of Microsoft static .vxd files:
Static .vxd file Provides support for
Vnetsup.vxd Microsoft Networking
Ndis.vxd Microsoft Networking
Ndis2sup.vxd Microsoft Networking
Javasup.vxd Microsoft Java
Vrtwd.386 Clock
Vfixd.vxd Video Phone helper
Vnetbios.vxd Microsoft Networking
Vserver.vxd Microsoft Networking
Vredir.vxd Microsoft Networking
Dfs.vxd Microsoft Networking
Ndiswan.vxd Microsoft Networking
Msmouse.vxd Microsoft Mouse

Test to determine if the issue is resolved by restarting your computer. If your computer shuts down correctly, define the problem further by repeating steps A through D, but respond with "Yes" to only one of the files in the list above, and then restart your computer. Test each file by restarting your computer and responding "Yes" to a different file each time. If your computer does not shut down properly, the issue is related to last static .vxd file you selected.

Check the properties of the incompatible static .vxd file to determine the program with which it is associated. Uninstall and then reinstall the program to replace the .vxd file with a new copy of the file.

For additional information about the System Configuration Utility tool, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Q181966 System Configuration Utility Advanced Troubleshooting Settings
10.. Install Windows 98 in a new folder. This may be the quickest method to determine if the problem is caused by a hardware issue. If you install Windows in a new folder and you still experience problems shutting down, check with your hardware manufacturer for an updated BIOS or other workaround.

For additional information about installing Windows 98 in a new folder, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Q193902 How to Install Windows 98 Into a New Folder
11.. If you are running Windows 98 Second Edition and you are still experiencing problems shutting down your computer, view the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Q238096 Problems Shutting Down Windows 98 Second Edition

If this article does not describe your shutdown-related issue, please see the following Microsoft Web site to view more articles about shutting down Windows 98:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/search/canned.asp?R=d&H=Win dows+98+Shutdown+Articles&LL=win98x+or+winmil&Sz=w98shutdown

Additional query words: start w98shutdown

Keywords : kbenv kbtool kbtshoot win98 winapm win98se
Issue type : kbhowto
Technology : kbWin98search kbWin98SEsearch kbWin98 kbWin98SE

Last Reviewed: June 13, 2001
© 2001 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Terms of Use.

M

Mark V

In said:
It's a known 98 problem. But it's been years since I was last
asked this.

Ah! It comes flooding back now (years here as well since W98) and I do
recall vaguely that "fast shutdown" option and the patch now that you
mention it.
[ ]

If you had of asked in the 98 groups they would all tell

Good point and hopefully helpful (to the OP) post.

A

Al Dunbar [MS-MVP]

n.c. said:
piddling around as *why?*.

Don't expect much help if you accuse us of "piddling around" when we are
trying to help. Anyway, if you know it is such a simple question, try
answering it yourself.
Are you trying to make me

No, that would be up to you. If you (eventually) get the answer you are
seeking, you will probably be happy to have asked.
unsaved works.

Well, you see, now *that* little bit of information could only have been
deduced by us through your telling us, or because we can read your mind.
Since we cannot read your mind, and since we do not know everything about
your environment and your level of expertise, we simply have to be told.

OK, but the more successful help-seekers here manage to do so without
demanding their answers.

/Al

A

Al Dunbar [MS-MVP]

It's a known 98 problem. But it's been years since I was last asked this.

Query the KB on
Win98 "fast shutdown"
There is a patch and it can also be disabled in MSConfig if unpatched (I
think - can't remember the ins and outs of this issue). If you had of asked
in the 98 groups they would all tell you off the top of their heads.

==> To the original poster: please note that David's apparently spot-on
response came *after* we got you to provide the *why*, and after you gave
enough details that it could be deduced that this was indeed your problem
instead of a number of other problems it might have been.

/Al

Ask a Question