Fake Virus Warning

John

I'm curious. How do you all respond to a fake virus warning (a pop-up window
that says your PC is infected) when browsing the web? I've always used Task
Manager - select the pop-up window and End Task it. That way I won't have to
click any part of that pop-up window because it doesn't matter what we click
(Yes/No, OK/Cancel) the malware will be installed. Sometimes I also wonder
why malicious sites even bother asking us if we want it or not. Why don't
they just install it silently? Is this because of restrictions in one of IE
settings (can't install without asking)? Anyone?

Alias

John said:
I'm curious. How do you all respond to a fake virus warning (a pop-up window
that says your PC is infected) when browsing the web? I've always used Task
Manager - select the pop-up window and End Task it. That way I won't have to
click any part of that pop-up window because it doesn't matter what we click
(Yes/No, OK/Cancel) the malware will be installed. Sometimes I also wonder
why malicious sites even bother asking us if we want it or not. Why don't
they just install it silently? Is this because of restrictions in one of IE
settings (can't install without asking)? Anyone?

Try Ubuntu, compared to Windows, it's bullet proof if you have a router
with an hard firewall. Check it out at http://www.ubuntu.com/

Alias

Big Al

John said:
I'm curious. How do you all respond to a fake virus warning (a pop-up window
that says your PC is infected) when browsing the web? I've always used Task
Manager - select the pop-up window and End Task it. That way I won't have to
click any part of that pop-up window because it doesn't matter what we click
(Yes/No, OK/Cancel) the malware will be installed. Sometimes I also wonder
why malicious sites even bother asking us if we want it or not. Why don't
they just install it silently? Is this because of restrictions in one of IE
settings (can't install without asking)? Anyone?
Yes, There are a lot of things a web site cannot do. Its part of
windows security. But once you click a button or link etc you are
sorta giving things the right to launch. Like a java script or applet.

I just close the web site. If they have one baddie, I'm going to assume
they have more. And if there is a window open after that, then I use
the simple x in the upper right corner.

8

8n20_C#

"John" ha scritto:
I'm curious. How do you all respond to a fake virus warning (a pop-up
window that says your PC is infected) when browsing the web?

Most of the popup windows are blocked by the "Block popup" feature of
IE7.
Anyway, if i see such a popop window, usually i close it by pressing the X
on
the title bar, or pressing Alt-F4, or choosing Close in the popup menu
i open by right clicking the title bar.

Correct your decision to use task manager, but you've to find the window
you wanna close!
Sometimes I also wonder why malicious sites even bother asking us if we
want it or not. Why don't they just install it silently?

That's a good question :)
Is this because of restrictions in one of IE settings (can't install
without asking)? Anyone?

I don't think so, as the popup window is not a real confirmation message
but only a simple window.

Hi!

John

Big Al said:
Yes, There are a lot of things a web site cannot do. Its part of windows
security. But once you click a button or link etc you are sorta giving
things the right to launch. Like a java script or applet.

I just close the web site.

That might work too - right click the pop-up on the task bar and click
Close. The problem with close option is that it sometimes loads another
pop-up window. That's why I choose end task.
And if there is a window open after that, then I use the simple x in the
upper right corner.

The X button can be part of the pop up image. Inexperienced users can't tell
the difference. Also, if we're not paying attention, we may accidentally
click that X image instead of the actual X button.

Doug W.

John said:
Oh no, not you again. I just had a discussion with you about
this yesterday. Short term memory eh? :)
Thats from inhaling all of those "ubuntu" fumes.
-

Big Al

John said:
That might work too - right click the pop-up on the task bar and click
Close. The problem with close option is that it sometimes loads another
pop-up window. That's why I choose end task.

The X button can be part of the pop up image. Inexperienced users can't tell
the difference. Also, if we're not paying attention, we may accidentally
click that X image instead of the actual X button.
Yes, there is a certain amount of skill needed to step around these
'pranksters'.

Alias

John said:
Oh no, not you again. I just had a discussion with you about this yesterday.
Short term memory eh? :)

I'm not in the habit of remembering every "John" I meet online, sorry.
Nonetheless, my post may help someone else who is sick of Windows and
viruses.

Alias

pcbutts1 [MS MVP]

HeyBub

Alias said:
Try Ubuntu, compared to Windows, it's bullet proof if you have a
router with an hard firewall. Check it out at http://www.ubuntu.com/

Alias

You can lead a Linux troll to water, but you can't make him think.

On second though, maybe we've been leading the wrong end...

John

My PC isn't infected. Thanks.

pcbutts1 said:
If you are getting the pop ups then you are infected. Use my free
Remove-it software, it will remove that malware from your system. Download
it here http://pcbutts1.com/downloads/tools/tools.htm

The list grows. Leythos the stalker http://www.leythosthestalker.com,
David

pcbutts1 [MS MVP]

If you are getting fake virus warnings, whether you click on them of just
close them you "are" infected. Those pop ups happen for a reason.

John

pcbutts1 said:
If you are getting fake virus warnings, whether you click on them of just
close them you "are" infected. Those pop ups happen for a reason.

Interesting. What reason would that be? To tell us that they're installing
something in our PC? I didn't know they're nice people. Why not silently
install it without a pop-up?

sgopus

lousy advice, no getting a pop up from a web site doesn't automatically mean
your infected, it does mean that you could have a vunerablilty they might
exploit.
or they are using social enginering to fake you out.

Alias

HeyBub said:
You can lead a Linux troll to water, but you can't make him think.

On second though, maybe we've been leading the wrong end...

When you pull the chain of an MS fanboy, out comes the above.

Alias

pcbutts1 [MS MVP]

If such massage appears it in fact means some fake antispyware may have
been installed in your PC. The Zlob.Trojan and its many variants generates
this type of warning to scare users and force to download rogue
anti-spyware products and probably certain malware, perhaps Smitfraud or
Vundo. It is much easier for the malware writers to use vulnerabilities in
IE like BHO's to install the small hard to detect trojans then the full
rogue anti-malware programs.

HeyBub

Alias said:
When you pull the chain of an MS fanboy, out comes the above.

I keep my pants tied up with a chain of twine,
It keeps me ready all the time,
So if you're mine, baby, if you're mine,
Please pull the twine,
Please pull the twine.

Onsokumaru

HeyBub said:
You can lead a Linux troll to water, but you can't make him think.

On second though, maybe we've been leading the wrong end...

ROFL, unlike your independent, free thinking windows user...;-)