Failed to map the path '/App_GlobalResources/'

Trying to get an asp.net 2.0 app running and am receiving this error. I see a
bunch of people with this error on the net, but no solution:

Works fine on my local machine, deployed to a server it yields this message.

Failed to map the path '/App_GlobalResources/'

Stack trace: at
System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.MapPathActual(VirtualPath virtualPath,
Boolean permitNull)
at
System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CheckTopLevelFilesUpToDate2(StandardDiskBuildResultCache diskCache)
at
System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CheckTopLevelFilesUpToDate(StandardDiskBuildResultCache diskCache)
at
System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.PrecompiledAppRuntimeModeInitialize()
at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.Initialize()
at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.InitializeBuildManager()
at System.Web.HttpRuntime.HostingInit(HostingEnvironmentFlags hostingFlags)

I had seen that posted on the net.. but unfortunately it seems for most
people (and my case) this isn't the cause. Thanks though.

--
Adam Tuliper
http://www.secure-coding.com

Juan T. Llibre said:
Check the IIS Default Web Site Properties -> Home Directory -> Local Path.
Make sure there isn't a "\" character at the end of the directory name.

Juan T. Llibre, ASP.NET MVP
ASP.NET FAQ : http://asp.net.do/faq/
ASPNETFAQ.COM : http://www.aspnetfaq.com/
======================================

Im also curious if it has anything to do with Netegrity's siteminder. I seem
to recall they set a flag in the metabase preventing updates. Installing sp4
on win2k3 a while back had this issue with their product.

There have been prior issues with updating the metabase and netegrity
preventing it. This is happening on windows 2000, which several postings on
the net have also pointed to. hmmm... I wonder if the metabase is missing
information it needed during the setup, although asp.net 2.0 does seem to be
installed properly, and the temp asp.net compilation directories are getting
created for each app, just nothing is put in them because of this issue
causing compilation to fail. Ive even tried adding a virtual directory in my
app to the app_globalresources folder just for the heck of it.. no go. From
the response and watching filemon, it seems that asp.net recognizes this as a
special name and doesn't attempt to check for the physical location, but
using App_GlobalResources1 does cause a file system check.

This happens for any asp.net 2.0 app or page, even if I just create a
directory and drop in a main.aspx (of course setting the site properties to
be .net 2.0).

--
Adam Tuliper
http://www.secure-coding.com

Juan T. Llibre said:
Check the IIS Default Web Site Properties -> Home Directory -> Local Path.
Make sure there isn't a "\" character at the end of the directory name.

Juan T. Llibre, ASP.NET MVP
ASP.NET FAQ : http://asp.net.do/faq/
ASPNETFAQ.COM : http://www.aspnetfaq.com/
======================================

Juan T. Llibre

There was a bug filed for this situation this morning :

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/produ...edbackid=1224adb4-8794-46cc-873b-1ce2b55b5bb4

It's currently "Under review".

I'd suggest that you check there over the next few days,
to see if there's a resolution or see if a workaround has been posted for it.

Adam said:
[...]

Im not sure thats it though.

That situation sounds a little bit different, depending on iis settings
mapping to a location outside of your application isn't allowed. Not being
able to find "App_GlobalResources" is a different story. The call stack in
that issue is very different as well. It seems this issue is being caused
from a call to:
combiner1.AddResourcesDirectory(HttpRuntime.ResourcesDirectoryVirtualPath.MapPathInternal());

Which causes an exception to be thrown in MapPathActual because
HostingEnvironment.GetVirtualPathToFileMapping("MyApp/App_GlobalResources/");
returns null for whatever reason.. still trying to figure that one out.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
says it was fixed in the rtm of asp.net,
but thats the only build that is on our machine

Is your .net version 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200) ?

If not, install it, and check to see whether the bug remains.
If it does, bug it.

If your .net version *is* 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200), then go to
the bug report on the link you posted, validate the bug, vote on it,
and ask that the bug be reopened in a comment to that bug report.

That will catch their attention more than anything else.

Juan T. Llibre, ASP.NET MVP
ASP.NET FAQ : http://asp.net.do/faq/
ASPNETFAQ.COM : http://www.aspnetfaq.com/
======================================

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Adam,

How did you deploy the website from your local dev box to the deployment
server? Have you tried using the PublishSite in VS.NET 2005 to see whether
it works? Also, as Juan has mentioned, you can check the Full version of
the .net runtime on the server, if that did equals 2.0.50727.42
(RTM.050727-4200), I think this should be a serious problem. Though it is
likely enviornment specific, I'm still think whether it's ok for me to
build a local reproduce steps. Would you also try deploying a very simple
website to reproduce the behavior and let me know the server's IIS site's
setting info?

Thank you!

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "Juan T. Llibre" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Failed to map the path '/App_GlobalResources/'
| Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 20:44:38 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| re:
| > says it was fixed in the rtm of asp.net,
| > but thats the only build that is on our machine
|
| Is your .net version 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200) ?
|
| If not, install it, and check to see whether the bug remains.
| If it does, bug it.
|
| If your .net version *is* 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200), then go to
| the bug report on the link you posted, validate the bug, vote on it,
| and ask that the bug be reopened in a comment to that bug report.
|
| That will catch their attention more than anything else.
|

| Juan T. Llibre, ASP.NET MVP
| ASP.NET FAQ : http://asp.net.do/faq/
| ASPNETFAQ.COM : http://www.aspnetfaq.com/
| Foros de ASP.NET en Español : http://asp.net.do/foros/
| ======================================
| | > Actually I did find the issue at that site:

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/productfeedback/viewfeedback.aspx?feedbackid=7
346e3d6-3f9d-444b-8839-885cbbb23375

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/productfeedback/viewfeedback.aspx?feedbackid=1
224adb4-8794-46cc-873b-1ce2b55b5bb4

| >> It's currently "Under review".
| >>
| >> I'd suggest that you check there over the next few days,
| >> to see if there's a resolution or see if a workaround has been posted
for it.

| >> Juan T. Llibre, ASP.NET MVP
| >> ASP.NET FAQ : http://asp.net.do/faq/
| >> ASPNETFAQ.COM : http://www.aspnetfaq.com/
| >> Foros de ASP.NET en Español : http://asp.net.do/foros/
| >> ======================================
Installing sp4

Local Path.

System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CheckTopLevelFilesUpToDate2(StandardDisk
BuildResultCache

System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CheckTopLevelFilesUpToDate(StandardDiskB
uildResultCache

System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.PrecompiledAppRuntimeModeInitialize()

Hi Steven,
This was done through a the publish feature in visual studio. To make sure
it wasnt something assembly specific, I created a new folder, create an app
from it in iisadmin, set the properties to run asp.net version 2.0.50727 (the
only other available versions in the dropdown on the asp.net tab in iis are
1.X versions - there are no other 2.x versions on this server). I added a
test.aspx page which simply wrote out the headers, and access to this page
fails with the same error. I have reported this at
http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/produ...edbackid=b48bbff7-7182-4ce5-9e54-70c7a2584f89

Thanks,
Adam

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your response Adam,

Have you also tested on other server to see whether you'll encounter the
same problem? Also, is this the first time you try deploying 2.0 website on
that server. I'm thinking maybe we can try reinstalling the .NET 2.0
framework on that server. At least from reregister the ASP.NET 2.0
runtime...

Thanks,

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/productfeedback/viewfeedback.aspx?feedbackid=b
48bbff7-7182-4ce5-9e54-70c7a2584f89

| Thanks,
| Adam
|
| --
| Adam Tuliper
| http://www.secure-coding.com
|
| "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:
|
| > Hi Adam,
| >
| > How did you deploy the website from your local dev box to the
deployment
| > server? Have you tried using the PublishSite in VS.NET 2005 to see
whether
| > it works? Also, as Juan has mentioned, you can check the Full version
of
| > the .net runtime on the server, if that did equals 2.0.50727.42
| > (RTM.050727-4200), I think this should be a serious problem. Though it
is
| > likely enviornment specific, I'm still think whether it's ok for me to
| > build a local reproduce steps. Would you also try deploying a very
simple
| > website to reproduce the behavior and let me know the server's IIS
site's
| > setting info?
| >
| > Thank you!
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "Juan T. Llibre" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: Failed to map the path '/App_GlobalResources/'
| > | Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 20:44:38 -0400
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| > |
| > | re:
| > |
| > | Is your .net version 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200) ?
| > |
| > | If not, install it, and check to see whether the bug remains.
| > | If it does, bug it.
| > |
| > | If your .net version *is* 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200), then go to
| > | the bug report on the link you posted, validate the bug, vote on it,
| > | and ask that the bug be reopened in a comment to that bug report.
| > |
| > | That will catch their attention more than anything else.
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | Juan T. Llibre, ASP.NET MVP
| > | ASP.NET FAQ : http://asp.net.do/faq/
| > | ASPNETFAQ.COM : http://www.aspnetfaq.com/
| > | Foros de ASP.NET en Español : http://asp.net.do/foros/
| > | ======================================

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/productfeedback/viewfeedback.aspx?feedbackid=7
| > 346e3d6-3f9d-444b-8839-885cbbb23375
| > is on
| > same)

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/productfeedback/viewfeedback.aspx?feedbackid=1
| > 224adb4-8794-46cc-873b-1ce2b55b5bb4

| > for it.

| > siteminder. I seem
| > Installing sp4

| > postings on
| > missing
| > seem to be
| > getting
| > issue
| > directory in my
no
| > go. From
| > this as a
| > but

| > properties to

| > Local Path.
| > name.

| > error. I see a

| > this message.

System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.MapPathActual(VirtualPath
| > virtualPath,

System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CheckTopLevelFilesUpToDate2(StandardDisk
| > BuildResultCache

System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CheckTopLevelFilesUpToDate(StandardDiskB
| > uildResultCache

System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.PrecompiledAppRuntimeModeInitialize()
System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.InitializeBuildManager()
System.Web.HttpRuntime.HostingInit(HostingEnvironmentFlags
| > hostingFlags)

| > |
| > |
| > |

Hi Steven,
The solution is to set security permissions for the aspnet user on
%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys

Watching filemon:
aspnet_wp.exe:3084 IRP_MJ_CREATE C:\Documents and Settings\All
Users\Application
Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys\3d79497f094c7a30f1ab27ae62464e2b_f66df180-918e-466d-8201-73e51626aac5 ACCESS
DENIED Attributes: S Options: OpenIf Sequential

aspnet_wp.exe tries over and over to create this (for several minutes) and
then fails. This folder contains read permissions for everyone, but needs
write permissions set just for aspnet.

--
Adam Tuliper
http://www.secure-coding.com

Steven Cheng said:
> [...]

simple
| > website to reproduce the behavior and let me know the server's IIS
site's
| > setting info?
| >
| > Thank you!
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "Juan T. Llibre" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: Failed to map the path '/App_GlobalResources/'
| > | Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 20:44:38 -0400
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| > |
| > | re:
| > |
| > | Is your .net version 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200) ?
| > |
| > | If not, install it, and check to see whether the bug remains.
| > |
| > | If your .net version *is* 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200), then go to
| > | the bug report on the link you posted, validate the bug, vote on it,
| > | and ask that the bug be reopened in a comment to that bug report.
| > |
| > | That will catch their attention more than anything else.
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | Juan T. Llibre, ASP.NET MVP
| > | ASP.NET FAQ : http://asp.net.do/faq/
| > | ASPNETFAQ.COM : http://www.aspnetfaq.com/
| > | Foros de ASP.NET en Español : http://asp.net.do/foros/
| > | ======================================

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/productfeedback/viewfeedback.aspx?feedbackid=7
| > 346e3d6-3f9d-444b-8839-885cbbb23375
| > is on
| > same)

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/productfeedback/viewfeedback.aspx?feedbackid=1
| > 224adb4-8794-46cc-873b-1ce2b55b5bb4

| > for it.

| > siteminder. I seem
| > Installing sp4

| > postings on
| > missing
| > seem to be
| > getting
| > issue
| > directory in my
no
| > go. From
| > this as a
| > but

| > properties to

| > Local Path.
| > name.

| > error. I see a

| > this message.

System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.MapPathActual(VirtualPath
| > virtualPath,

System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CheckTopLevelFilesUpToDate2(StandardDisk
| > BuildResultCache

System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CheckTopLevelFilesUpToDate(StandardDiskB
| > uildResultCache

System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.PrecompiledAppRuntimeModeInitialize()
System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.InitializeBuildManager()

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your followup Adam,

Glad that you've figured out the problem. So the cause of it is still some
security setting not configured properly on the server... Anyway, if
there're any further things we can help, please feel free to post here.

> [...]

| > |
| > | Hi Steven,
| > | This was done through a the publish feature in visual studio. To make
| > sure
| > | it wasnt something assembly specific, I created a new folder, create
an
| > app
| > | from it in iisadmin, set the properties to run asp.net version
2.0.50727
| > (the
| > | only other available versions in the dropdown on the asp.net tab in
iis
| > are
| > | 1.X versions - there are no other 2.x versions on this server). I
added a
| > | test.aspx page which simply wrote out the headers, and access to this
| > page
| > | fails with the same error. I have reported this at:

| > |
| > | --
| > | Adam Tuliper
| > | http://www.secure-coding.com