Facebook

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Normally when things go tits up on Facebook we get a response from one of the many people on the legal team.
This time not. A direct comment from Mark Zuckerberg. Going by his Facebook status update, he is a bit ****ed off.

I want to respond personally to the outrageous press reports about PRISM:

Facebook is not and has never been part of any program to give the US or any other government direct access to our servers. We have never received a blanket request or court order from any government agency asking for information or metadata in bulk, like the one Verizon reportedly received. And if we did, we would fight it aggressively. We hadn't even heard of PRISM before yesterday.

When governments ask Facebook for data, we review each request carefully to make sure they always follow the correct processes and all applicable laws, and then only provide the information if is required by law. We will continue fighting aggressively to keep your information safe and secure.

We strongly encourage all governments to be much more transparent about all programs aimed at keeping the public safe. It's the only way to protect everyone's civil liberties and create the safe and free society we all want over the long term.

It would seem the NSA are making other claims as well here

Reaction score
I would actually tend to believe the NSA on this one.
No way is Mark Zuckerberg going to admit his servers are accessed daily by the more covert parts of the american government whenever they see fit

The leak however is a bit worrying. Someone that is working there does not it seems think it is fair

In all honestly, I suppose my commenting has just flagged up aswell.

Do I care? Do I cr@p!

Reaction score
Dont use facebook.
If i want to keep in contact with friends i use a very old method...............the phone!!:lol:

Reaction score
Dont use facebook.
If i want to keep in contact with friends i use a very old method...............the phone!!:lol:

A lot of people on face book have several hundred contacts. Glad I'm not paying their phone bill ;)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
if you think you is being spied upon, just use the words bomb & America in the same sentence ... you may get a knock on the door, but I doubt it. :)

You are, IMHO, very vain if you think the powers that be can't 'spy' on you whenever they feel like it, they been doing it for centuries, why stop now when it's even easier with the likes of twitface sites. :lol:

have a nice day ... :user:

Reaction score
I am with Mr Mucks as we have been spied on for centuries it is nothing new the only thing new is technology and the ability to source information using the same technology.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Aye, it's true, them spooks have always kept an eye on us, some of us more than others.

Were you one of those leftie student agitators? Edited the University magazine with controversial opinion column?

Been a member of a political group that the mainstream political parties took umbrage to?

Had one or more letters published in The Guardian or The Times?

Been a member of Greenpeace?

Took part in any marches? Particularly anti poll tax and Ban The Bomb?

Tabled an awkward question to your MP?

Had a holiday in Yugoslavia?

Parked on a yellow line?

Have constantly had library books overdue?

Then you, my friend, are in the sights of GCHQ :)

I bet they couldn't believe their luck when Social Networking took off :lol:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I am a member of the Audio club in my city and we have a mailing list for the members. Once someone mentioned why we do not have a group account on facebook and one of the members responded to that. I am quoting his message without disclosing the identity.

Before creating a Facebook group, HAS members should give careful consideration to the privacy issues surrounding Facebook. I am an attorney and have attended a few seminars concerning the internet and the law. Facebook is among the least private internet services. Market expectations and Facebook's business model depend on a high degree of monetization of Facebook's content. This means that Facebook content will be extensively mined for data that can be sold. Not only is Facebook interested in this data, but many criminal elements are also interested in this data. Discussions of equipment are fertile ground for Facebook advertising sales and criminal prowlers. I would not discuss anything that I own, group meetings, or other subjects that would expose HAS members to risk or unwanted intrusions of privacy.

I had a Facebook account to keep up with my high school reunion then cancelled. A friend recently asked why I am no longer on Facebook to which I responded 'I value my privacy."
I also had created a Facebook account when it was launched long time ago and decided to cancel it soon after. I do not need a Facebook account to keep in touch with who I want, there are many other ways of communicating and maintaining your networking. Facebook is just one alternative.

I don't need it as I too value my privacy, I don't have to tell the world when I go to the restroom and and when I go to sleep. :lol:

Ask a Question