"Extra" files

F

Frank

I have a laptop kind of getting low on disk space.
Windows XP SP2 is a big user.
Any "extra" folders/files that can be removed safely?

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

How can I save space after installing a Service Pack or other updates?
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spack.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows - Shell/User
Microsoft Community Newsgroups
news://msnews.microsoft.com/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------­----------------

:

| I have a laptop kind of getting low on disk space.
| Windows XP SP2 is a big user.
| Any "extra" folders/files that can be removed safely?

T

t.cruise

If there are any third Party programs which you do not use, remove them through Control
Panel, Add or Remove Programs. You can right click the My Computer Desktop icon then left
click Properties, then click the System Restore tab and use the slide to allocate less
space for Restore Points (old Restore Points are a waste of drive space anyway). You open
Internet Explorer, click the Tools menu, click Internet Options, and delete your Temporary
Internet files (when the Delete All Offline Content box comes up, click to put the
checkmark and then click the OK button). If your system is working fine, click the Start
Button/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Disk CleanUp, and when it opens, click the
More Options tab, then under the sub-heading: System Restore click the Cleanup button
which will delete all of the System Restore points, but the most recent one. If you use
Outlook Express: if you have saved messages with file attachments, delete the messages
with attachments that you really do not need, save attachments that you do need to a
folder, and then delete the message. Also, if you are not already aware: When you delete
messages in Outlook Express, and then Delete them from the Deleted Items folder, the space
that those deleted messages used on your drive is not freed up. Ergo you could have an
inbox with only one message, but the inbox.dbx file could be 100MB, the same applies to
Sent Items.dbx and any other folders you might have created. In order to regain the
wasted space, in the main window of Outlook Express click the File menu/Folder/Compact All
Folders. Also if you have been using Windows XP for a while, look for the on the Start
menu for the Windows Tutorial right click it, find the path to the folder and delete the
files, then right click and Delete the Start menu listing for it. Also, delete any sample
music or sample video files. Also, if you have a great multimedia files of your own which
you do not often view, save them to 100 media (burn to a CD or DVD or ZIP file, the same
goes for photo libraries. Also got to your :

C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USER ACCOUNT NAME\Local Settings\Temp folder (this folder
might be hidden, if so, open Windows Explorer or My Computer, click the Tools menu then
click Folder Options, then click the View tab and click to put a mark in the circle next
to: Show Hidden Files and Folders)

Once in your Temporary Files folder, there might be a great many files that were put there
and which should have be automatically deleted when software was installed. Also, there
might be sub- folders of the same, which can be deleted. DO NOT DELETE the Temporary
Internet Files sub-folder though. Also, many programs, especially imaging software like
Adobe Photoshop come with sample files, which can be deleted. These are just some
suggestions how to regain some web space.
--

T.C.
t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com
Remove [NoSpam] to reply

Ask a Question