extra files

Larry Waibel

I found that I can run 'taskmgr' with just a couple of files instead of all
the files the component brings in (so my image only grows a few hundred K
instead of around 10MB :). So I thought I'd use the 'extra files' to bring
them in. I guess I was assuming there'd be some kind of repository for them
but I see that I have to set the build options for the location. We have a
development process where our stuff to release is rebuilt by the Software
Configuration Management (SCM) group on a different system than I develop on.
I was planning to get the files from my c:\windows\system32 but I can see
now that won't work because 1) They might not be in or be the same on the
other system and 2) The build options on the other system would have to be
set. So I guess I'll have to create my own component. I guess what I'd like
to request as a future enhancement is some way to handle extra files
similarly to components such that they're somehow attached to the Target
Design. Not sure exactly how or if it's even possible but thought I'd ask
:)

Kapil

I also faced the same problem and got rid of it by creating a separate
component for Task Manager. It only has two files viz., TaskMgr.exe
and vdmdbg.dll.

Kapil

Larry Waibel

Yep, that's exactly what I did. Too bad that's not the component that
Microsoft supplies :)

Andy Allred [MS]

If you're using taskmgr for troubleshooting, you can actually run taskmgr
from the safe build on the same machine, but from a different partition. The
same is true for regedit that you were asking about loading .reg files.
Though for regedit, you need to navigate to the safe build's system32 folder
and enter this in the command window (c:/> ../regedit.exe).

The reason for having to try to run it from system32 is because regedit has
deps on files in the system32 folder of that safe build.

So anyways, the point is that for troubleshooting and tweaks/hacks, having
XP-Pro on another volume of the same machine (if possible) allows you to do
so much in the runtime without having to load the features to XPe just to do
investigations.

Andy

Larry Waibel

I only have a 256MB DiskOnChip in my device so I don't have any room. That's
why I'm always concerned with keeping the footprint as small as possible. If I
just use the two files needed for 'taskmgr', it uses a couple 100K; if I
include the Microsoft supplied component for it, the footprint goes up by about
10MB.

From: "Andy Allred [MS]" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: extra files
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 15:36:11 -0700