Explorer - Loading Directory Information

G

Normally, when one opens Explorer, a person will almost instantly see all their drives and associated folder information. Or, at least that is how it used to be for me

Lately, everytime I open my File Explorer window, it always takes a good 12-15 secs. before any of my folder and file information gets listed. And, while I am waiting, my hard drive is working like crazy as if it's scanning my entire disk for something and/or rebuilding the file list information. As long as I keep the Explorer window open, it's seems ok. However, if I close it and reopen it, I starts the lengthly lookup process all over again. I'm not sure what I did to cause this

I ran Disk Defragmentor a couple of times, but it didn't seem to help. My hard drive is 18Gig, but only about 30% full

Does anyone know what causes this, and how to fix it? Any assistance on this would be greatly appreciated!

R

Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers

Hi,

Start/run msconfig, go to the services tab, uncheck Windows Image
Acquisition. Click apply/ok and reboot. See if this helps.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Win9x
Windows isn't rocket science! That's my other hobby!

Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone

Ask a Question