Explorer.exe hogging CPU time

Running Win2k SP4. System has been bogging down lately (just installed SP4)
and when I look in taskmgr, explorer.exe consistently takes 90+% CPU time.
"System Idle Process" takes up 0 CPU time, which is unusual because the exact
opposite is usually true.

I've run Spysweeper and the problem was not fixed. I've read a little about
the Bagle.y worm, but I am unsure if this would be relevant.

Please help.

BillW50

message Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 20:30:01 -0700

Running Win2k SP4. System has been bogging down lately (just
installed SP4) and when I look in taskmgr, explorer.exe
consistently takes 90+% CPU time. "System Idle Process" takes up 0
CPU time, which is unusual because the exact opposite is usually
true.

I've run Spysweeper and the problem was not fixed. I've read a
little about the Bagle.y worm, but I am unsure if this would be
relevant.

Please help.

Yup... I've seen this get worse in the last few months. And I don't
think it has anything to do with SP4, as they came out much earlier. But
I believe it has to do with the last two or three security updates. Also
streaming video and DVD movies also have gone downhill do to the
excessive CPU use about the very same time.

Another problem from the last security update (not the one that just
came out today), one will get an explorer.exe crash which reloads the
taskbar afterwards.

Another problem that showed up about the same time as the above is one
of my laptops will suddenly lock up tight. Nothing works! But the rest
of my Windows 2000 systems don't do this. I even put that HD into
another identical laptop (which has Windows 98SE on that HD) and the
same HD still locks up under Windows 2000. So I can eliminate a hardware
problem there.

I also started running Firefox lately do to IE excessive CPU use.
Although it is much better in this area, I loose too much other nifty
features that IE does have. So I'm slowly going back to solely using IE.
And I am sorry I don't have any more answers or suggestions. Hopefully
someone else might help both of us out.

Cheers!

Bill (using a HP AMD 1.2GHZ & Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within Word 2000

BillW50

I removed some software that other software installed like Learner2 and
View Media Player just now. And IE CPU time is now down in the 20% range
while playing streaming 700kbps video! Was pegged at 100% before. Dang
third party software!