Excel Excel Unicode Data

Reaction score
Hi

I'm using Microsoft Office Excel 2003 and I have a workbook with one tab that contains about 5 rows and 5 columns of data. Some of this data is double-byte data (Japanese characters). The rest are Latin characters.

I need to save the tabs data as a .csv file for import into another program. That program requires .csv format to import data. Nothing else works.

The problem I'm having is that Excel doesn't have an option to save my data as Unicode .csv. It does have an option to save the data as Unicode .txt

If I save as Unicode .txt I can open the file with notepad and see the data correctly. If I save as .csv I open the file and see question marks in place of my double-byte data.

I know this workaround exists... Load the Excel data into an Access (I have Access 2003) table and export it. With Access' advanced options you can specify your delimiter and your character code set (UTF-8) in this case. This will get you a unicode .csv file that when opened in Notepad is correct.

Anyway of doing this from Excel?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
try going

file > save as > choose your file name and in the save as type box scroll down to 'csv (MS-DOS)'

Reaction score
Unfortunately no luck. The double-byte data still shows up as question marks when the .csv is opened in Notepad.

Ask a Question