Excel is Running Too Slow. Can I run a Diagnostic?

ryguy7272

I am working with someone in my office whom is having some SERIOUS
issues with memory and performance in Excel 2007. She has 12 or so
sheets, maybe 20-24 column and 100 or so rows, per sheet. I know the
visible cells are the used range; confirmed with Ctrl+End going to the
last cell with visible data in it/ Lots of conditional formatting and
lots of merged cells (personally, I hate merged cells). She has
enabled Manual Calculation. Just this AM, she tried to remove
conditional formatting on one single cell, and it crashed Excel. I
think some of the problems come from many people making updates to
this workbook. Also, some users have 2003 and some have 2007.
Finally, Excel is now opening from, and running form, SharePoint.
However, we have previously downloaded it to the C-drive, and noticed
VERY slow performance, and crashes similar to that described above.

So, my question is, can I run dome diagnostic tool, or some code,
perhaps, to diagnose where the issue is? It seems like a couple
sheets run VERY slow and others seems to be perfectly fine. I’m
thinking there may just be a few problematic cells, or a single sheet,
that is causing all these problems. It’s hard to troubleshoot because
I can’t SEE any gremlins in there, but maybe a diagnostic tool, or
some VBA script, could help me calculate the performance of each
sheet. Just a thought.

Thanks everyone!!

Don Guillett Excel MVP

Ryan

Browse through Charles Williams' Excel pages.

http://www.decisionmodels.com/

Gord Dibben     MS Excel MVP

"If desired, send your file to dguillett @gmail.com I will only look
if:
4. You send before/after examples and expected results."

ryguy7272

"If desired, send your file to dguillett  @gmail.com I will only look
if:
4. You send before/after examples and expected results."- Hide quoted text -

Thanks guys. I looked at that yesterday; didn’t have time to do much
with it yet, but maybe today. I’m also going to try File > Open >
Open and repair. Finally, I’m going to look at ASAP Utilities and see
if there is something in there that may help.

Jim Cone

Maybe "Formats & Styles" add-in... http://excelusergroup.org/media/p/4861.aspx
--
Jim Cone