Excel Excel Help!

Reaction score
I am no good at functions/formulas/macros...I have not had a need to use them before...

At work, I am trying to create a new request form...the form we have now was created by this guy who is no longer with the company..it was created ions ago and now needs to be updated for my use...Of course he protected it so I cannot copy any of the functions or macros he used.

Question 1

First off, when I open the Request workbook, I enable macros and a copy of our management inventory,(which automatically updates everyday and is a seperate workbook) comes up and inserts the most recent version into the Request workbook as sheet 2, sheet 1 is the Request Form.

How do I go about doing this? I have come close, but it inserts as a table not exactly the way it is when you just open it on its own.

Question 2

How between these two sheets, can I enter and item on sheet one (such as a product number) and have the other columns in the same row on that same sheet, automatically populate with information for that exact number which is on sheet two.

Here is a more detailed version of my question...

In the Request Workbook, the Request Form (sheet 1) is your typical table..with rows and columns...each column has a different header..(item #, description, vendor, vendor # and location.)

Everything is protected except for the item # column/cells. When you enter an item # in that cell the other columns in that same row automatically populate with the information that pertains to that item number (which i know it gets the information off of sheet 2, the inventory)

I cannot use a specific cell or row..becuase as items are added and taken away from sheet 2, the item information may move to a different row..however, the other information that I need to insert will always be in the same column.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!

daveydoom

Trusted Advisor
Reaction score
For question #1: I would try recording a macro yourself ;) . Open a new workbook and go to Tools > Macros > Record New Macro. Then click on the empty space in the top left of the page (above row 1 and to the left of column A) . This will highlight the entire page. Then copy it to another worksheet, stop the macro recorder and go into the Visual Basic editor and view the code :)

For question # 2: I think you may need to use the VLOOKUP function in Excel. Without actually seeing the file I'm having a hard time figuring this out but it seems like the VLOOKUP may be what you need ;)

Ask a Question