Excel crashes on "Close" Visual Basic error 400

E

EagleOne

Excel 2007 on XP Pro up-to-date

After working fine for over a year, Excel 2007 now freezes when I attempt to close it.
Excel does close the worksheet(s) but it hangs in memory and on the screen.

When I click the Red "X" a second time to close, I get Visual Basic error 400.

In addition, I am also getting error messages about Add-ins causing a "major error" and a
question as to whether I want to disable them. The particular Add-in named as causing the
problem changes each crash: i.e, PUP7, Synkronizer, and two to three others unnamed here.

I did go through and inactivated all of them and the problem seemed to go away but came
back with vengeance.

In prior versions, I recalled the need to delete a certain file used by Excel during startup.

In 2007, I am not sure what to do.

TIA EagleOne

E

EagleOne

I have made some headway.

When I remove my Personal.xls from the Excel Startup folder the problem goes away.

I have not made any changes in my Personal.xls file for two months. In addition,
the same file (and all routines) works fine with my Excel 2003 on XP2 SP2.

IMPORTANT EPIPHANY JUST IN:

Yesterday, I did move a file in my Personal Certificate folder (via certmgr.msc) from Personal
to Trusted Root Certificates Store. This was a file I believe that I created in Excel to authorize
my VBA (in Personal.xls).

It now seems to make sense that the two events seem linked almost exactly in time.

The certificate file was "XYZ" that was created in XL 2003 to authorize my VBA file
XYZ's "Certificate path" indicated that it was NOT Trusted.

With Gord Dibbons insight, I moved it to Trusted Root Certificates Store. In The process, I was
given the option to accept it as trusted and it now is "Trusted" which is what I wanted.

My guess is that Excel knew its previous location but I moved it outside of Excel.

Could this cause my Personal.xls to crash Excel?

How do I fix the issue?

TIA EagleOne

E

EagleOne

Using Excel 2007 Macro Security, I was able to find my XYZ Certificate in Trusted Publishers and is
listed as "Trusted" therefore Excel know where it is. There goes that idea.

Does anyone know if MS made any recent updates to Excel that may be at issue?

Also, any suggestions as to how I can find a problem in my Personal.xls?

As I said, this problem started yesterday. I have not made any changes to Personal.xls in two
months.

Any help or thoughts greatly appreciated!

EagleOne

E

EagleOne

Success:

The problem was a VBA library reference in my Personal.xls which was no longer up to date.

Specifically, if one uses Synkronizer be aware ( I forgot about having to make the VBA library
reference in my code which I did two years ago) that every time one updates Synkronizer
AND you have VBA code calling it up in VBA to change the reference to Synkronizer
in your code.

Thanks for any time spent by anyone out there!!

Ask a Question