Excel annoyance

John Rampling

When I open Excel and click the 'File' menu item, a drop-down list of most
recently used files appears, as is normal in Windows programs. In Excel
however the list is usually wrong. It usually omits the files which I have
used most recently and lists only ones which I used some time previously.
The problem never happens in other Windows programs. Is this a peculiarity
of Excel? and is there a fix for it?

Windows XP Pro, Excel 2000.

:-\

John

MartinW

Hi John,

If you are using files that you are not saving then they won't
show on the list.
The 'recently used files' list should actually read 'last files saved list'.

HTH
Martin

John Rampling

MartinW said:
Hi John,

If you are using files that you are not saving then they won't
show on the list.
The 'recently used files' list should actually read 'last files saved
list'.

HTH
Martin

No Martin that's not the problem. I just tried it to check, and the file I
edited/saved does not show up on the list.

Any other suggestions?

John

MartinW

Hi John,

Unfortunately, I can't think of anything other than a reinstall which
is a bit drastic. Hang in there for a while and hopefully someone
else will come up with something more constructive.

Regards
Martin

Gord Dibben

John

I have never used Excel 2000 but in Excel 97, if you opened a workbook from a
shortcut or from within Windows Explorer, those files would not appear on the
MRU list on the File menu.

Those opened from File>Open would show on the MRU list.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

The Boondock Saint

Are you closing excel properly, I find if i dont close programs in the
proper manner then the last files i were using at the time dont show...

Not sure if this will help or not but thought Id try and help.

John Rampling

Gord I think you're on to something. I tried it and it's just as you say.

Now, any theories as to why this should happen in Excel, but not in any
other application?

John Rampling

Gord Dibben

John

I do not remember getting any explanation, but that doesn't mean there isn't
one.

All I know is........when I moved from XL97 to XL2002 and 2003 the behaviour
went away.

Any file opened by any means at all will show on the MRU

File>New but not saved, do not show on the MRU

Gord

Jim Cone

Here is a link to the post that shows the vba code I use to add open
workbooks to the file listing and remove any deleted or relocated files...
http://tinyurl.com/owguj
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

When I open Excel and click the 'File' menu item, a drop-down list of most
recently used files appears, as is normal in Windows programs. In Excel
however the list is usually wrong. It usually omits the files which I have
used most recently and lists only ones which I used some time previously.
The problem never happens in other Windows programs. Is this a peculiarity
of Excel? and is there a fix for it?

Windows XP Pro, Excel 2000.

:-\

John

Jim Cone

That's the way it is explanation from MS...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/166880/en-us
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA