Excel 4.0 Macro (XLM) Users - Your help is needed

Eric Patterson \(MS\)

The Excel product team is gathering data on how people are using the Excel
4.0 macro language at the present time. If you or someone you know
continues to use the Excel 4.0 macro language in current versions of Excel,
we would appreciate it if you send a response for these questions to
(e-mail address removed) :

1.. How often do you use Excel workbooks that contain Excel 4.0 Macro
sheets?
2.. When was the last time the Excel 4.0 macro was modified in any way?
3.. Have you considered migrating the Excel 4.0 macro to Visual Basic for
Applications (VBA)?
4.. What, if anything, is preventing the Excel 4.0 macro from being
migrated?

Thank you for your participation,

Eric Patterson

Program Manager

Microsoft Excel

Jim Cone

Sounds like you getting ready to make another "improvement" to Excel.

I use XL4 to count printable pages and to modify Headers and Footers.

The migration was from VBA to XL4 as VBA cannot count
printable pages and VBA can bog down using PageSetUp.
The two languages are a team and should not be separated.
cc to (e-mail address removed)
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Eric Patterson (MS)"
<[email protected]>
wrote in message
The Excel product team is gathering data on how people are using the Excel
4.0 macro language at the present time. If you or someone you know
continues to use the Excel 4.0 macro language in current versions of Excel,
we would appreciate it if you send a response for these questions to
(e-mail address removed) :

1.. How often do you use Excel workbooks that contain Excel 4.0 Macro
sheets?
2.. When was the last time the Excel 4.0 macro was modified in any way?
3.. Have you considered migrating the Excel 4.0 macro to Visual Basic for
Applications (VBA)?
4.. What, if anything, is preventing the Excel 4.0 macro from being
migrated?

Thank you for your participation,
Eric Patterson
Program Manager
Microsoft Excel

Art

Sorry for the late reply to this thread (new to this n.g.).

I agree with Jim wrt to the complementary nature of the two languages.

I have a legacy program written in XLM4 macros that was written back in
the early '90's. It has grown to over 4000 lines of code (plus custom
menu, alert and dialog box definitions). In fact, I wrote my own
HTML/CSS code generator in XLM4 to bypass the built-in Excel web page
generator (for the obvious reasons :)).

To Microsoft's credit, they have maintained forward (albeit unsupported)
compatibility for XLM4 in Excel releases on both the Mac and Windows
platforms.

I've gotten used to the reality that getting any help/work-arounds (let
alone bug fixes) is virtually non-existent except from public sources.

There's no real motivation to convert it as the program does what I want
it to do quite well. Even with a translator that would convert the bulk
of the code to VBA, it is highly unlikely that I would undertake the
effort. The debugging time alone would be prohibitive.

My vote is to leave the capability in for XLM4 macros.

Also cc'd to (e-mail address removed)

Regards,
Art