Excel 2007 "view side by Side"

mcambrose

I am new to Excel 2007, so I am struggling to make the transition from 2003.
Is there a way to change the action of the "view side by side" button on the
Window menu. When I click the button (if I have 2 workbooks open) it places
one window above the other (horizontal tiling rather than vertical tiling).
Seem to me that is one window on top of the other rather than beside each
other (side by side).
Thanks

Jim Rech

I don't think you can modify the built-in behavior. This isn't new; it is
the same as in Excel 2003, btw.

--
Jim
|I am new to Excel 2007, so I am struggling to make the transition from
2003.
| Is there a way to change the action of the "view side by side" button on
the
| Window menu. When I click the button (if I have 2 workbooks open) it
places
| one window above the other (horizontal tiling rather than vertical
tiling).
| Seem to me that is one window on top of the other rather than beside each
| other (side by side).
| Thanks

Gord Dibben

Jim

My Excel 2003 creates the two windows side by side vertically as in true
"side by side".

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Jim Rech

I can't get anything except "over / under" no matter what I do. In XL03 or
07. What's the secret?<g>

--
Jim
| Jim
|
| My Excel 2003 creates the two windows side by side vertically as in true
| "side by side".
|

| Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
|

| >I don't think you can modify the built-in behavior. This isn't new; it
is
| >the same as in Excel 2003, btw.

Jim Rech

Arrange all

That is a different feature than View Side by Side (in XL2007) and Compare
Side by Side (in XL2003).

--
Jim
| View, Arrange all, take your pick from the list.
|
| mcambrose wrote:
| > I am new to Excel 2007, so I am struggling to make the transition from
2003.
| > Is there a way to change the action of the "view side by side" button on
the
| > Window menu. When I click the button (if I have 2 workbooks open) it
places
| > one window above the other (horizontal tiling rather than vertical
tiling).
| > Seem to me that is one window on top of the other rather than beside
each
| > other (side by side).
| > Thanks

Bob I

BUT in 07 it sets the "preference" for the "View Side by Side". Try it,
you'll like it! ;-)

Gord Dibben

I have no idea why the difference.

The secret shall remain shrouded by Excel's "cone of silence"

Sorry about that Chief<g>

Gord

Jim Rech

Thanks to Bob I I think I have it figured out.

My problem was that I was arranging the windows left/right BEFORE picking
View side by side. You have to arrange the windows AFTER picking View Side
By Side.

If you do that, however you arrange the two windows, it gets recorded in the
registry in:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Excel\Options\PosSideBySide

The "it" that get recorded is both position and size. If you arrange the
windows side by side that's what gets recorded and that's what you get from
then on until you change the positions while in View side by side. So if
you make the windows tiny and put one in the top left corner and the other
in the lower right corner that's what you get the next time.

If you click "Reset Window Position" you get the default over/under and the
registry entry is deleted.

--
Jim
|I have no idea why the difference.
|
| The secret shall remain shrouded by Excel's "cone of silence"
|
| Sorry about that Chief<g>
|

| Gord
|

| >I can't get anything except "over / under" no matter what I do. In XL03
or
| >07. What's the secret?<g>

Gord Dibben

I was wondering if Excel stored last window alignment as default.

Seems to be only in the case you tested...............arrange AFTER the two
windows are "side by side" and Excel stores that in registry.

The secret is out!!

Thanks for clearing it up.

Gord