Excel 2003 Problem - Urgent

Reaction score
Hi,

Can someone please help resolve this excel issue.
Each time I try to open an Excel document, a small dialog box pops up with the message "not enough memory" "out of Memory" My machine is running a 1ghz of RAM presently and my virtual mem is set to default. Please anyone with a solution could please help.

I really appreciate your effort.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Ogongo

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Is this one particular Excel document or any you try to open?

Reaction score
It's actually the two of them. It's a report that is constantly updated. I can open this file on my notebook with no problem but each time I try to open it on my office desktop PC i get that error message.

Thanks Ian

Israel

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Does your laptop have more ram or a different version of office? It may be worth seeing if you can re-save the file on your laptop as a slightly different version and then try re-opening it.

Reaction score
Someone told me to take off the *.tmp,*.chk,~*.* files and delete them. It seems working now. Excel 2000 couldnt handle file over 15mb I was told. Thanks for your help Ian. I really appreciate but in case anything comes on, I will sure let you know. Once again, Thanks.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
ohio38jr said:
Someone told me to take off the *.tmp,*.chk,~*.* files and delete them. It seems working now. Excel 2000 couldn't handle file over 15mb I was told. Thanks for your help Ian. I really appreciate but in case anything comes on, I will sure let you know. Once again, Thanks.
Yes, there is a "limit" to the file size in Excel, 5-10Mb is usually bantered around, and as with ANY file you open in Office you need at least double the amount of hard drive space to open it.

Office will open a "copy" of the file for you to work on ... so if you have a 10Mb file (which is bloody big) then you will need, at least, 20Mb disk space ... only when you save, or close the file, will Office then write to the original.

*.tmp & *.chk files have nothing to do with the "limit" in Excel, but do take up some "room & board" on your hard drive ... are you sure you have at least a quarter of the HD free ?

Try CrapCleaner ... it will help you rid any unnecessary crud from you HD. ;)
A note when installing CC ... un-tick the Yahoo toolbar, it is not needed.

Ask a Question