Event viewer access

G

Hi
I have two DCs on a single subnet, both running Server 2000. Today I noticed that I can not access the application log or system log with the enterprise account. I disabled the default domain controller GPO with no luck. I can access the security logs and have full controll of that log

Thanks for any help
Randy

S

Steven L Umbach

That is interesting that you can access security but not the other two. On your
domain controller in Local Security Policy look at the effective setting for the user
right for manage auditing and security log to see that the administrators group is
included. Also check the ntfs permissions for the .evt logs to make sure that the
administrator has full control and is not a member of a group with deny permissions.
Try a different administrator account for the domain to see if it makes any
difference. --- Steve

Randy said:
Hi,
I have two DCs on a single subnet, both running Server 2000. Today I noticed that
I can not access the application log or system log with the enterprise account. I
disabled the default domain controller GPO with no luck. I can access the security
logs and have full controll of that log.

J

Jason

Just thought I would let you know that I have the same
problem with a Windows 2003 DC. Have checked the GP and
things are fine there and also checked permissions as well
on *.evt files. I don't recall if the problem always
existed or not. I noticed it while trying to troubleshoot
another problem. Thanks also for any help.

Jason

J

Jason

Am able to access the logs via my user account which has
administrator access. The administrator account works on
the main DC to view the logs just not on this one server.

Jason

Ask a Question