Error When Generating System Health Report

I'm setting up a brand new Dell Dimension which has a good spec, e.g. Intel
E6600 processor, 2GB 666Mhz RAM, etc, and latest Windows updates. When I go
to Control Panel – System And Maintenance - Performance Information And Tools
– Advanced Tools – Generate A System Health Report I get the following error:

"An error occurred while attempting to generate the report. The wait for the
report generation tool to finish has timed out."

Has anyone any ideas on this? The machine doesn't appear unhealthy (I've
checked the Windows event Logs) but I would like to check it oput with a
System Health Report if possible.

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Dell,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, I have performed research but I cannot find the similar
error reported so far. Would you please send me a screen shot of the error
message so that I can perform further research?

To take a screen shot:
---------------------
1. Press the Pr Scrn key once on the keyboard when the error message
appears.
2. Click Start, go to Run, enter MSPAINT in the open dialog box, and then
Click OK.
3. Use Ctrl + V to paste the screenshot to the canvas.
4. From the File menu, go to Save and save it as a JPG file.
5. Send the JPG file to me as an attachment.
My mailbox: (e-mail address removed)

Please test the issue in Safe Mode to see if the issue still occurs in this
mode.
Start your computer in safe mode
<http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/323ef48f-7b93-4079-a48a
-5c58eec904a11033.mspx>

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: =?Utf-8?B?RGVsbCBCb3k=?= <Dell (e-mail address removed)>
| Subject: Error When Generating System Health Report
| Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 09:44:25 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
|
| I'm setting up a brand new Dell Dimension which has a good spec, e.g.
Intel
| E6600 processor, 2GB 666Mhz RAM, etc, and latest Windows updates. When I
go
| to Control Panel �System And Maintenance - Performance Information And
Tools
| �Advanced Tools �Generate A System Health Report I get the following
error:

| "An error occurred while attempting to generate the report. The wait for
the
| report generation tool to finish has timed out."
|
| Has anyone any ideas on this? The machine doesn't appear unhealthy (I've
| checked the Windows event Logs) but I would like to check it oput with a
| System Health Report if possible.

Ken,

Thank you for your response.

Screen shot has been sent as requested.

I booted to safe mode but couldn’t work out how to launch the System Health
Report so can’t tell you whether the problem occurs in Safe Mode or not.

The machine is going to the client for whom it is intended in a couple of
hours and from then on I won’t have easy access to it but this might be worth
looking in to anyway?

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
Hello Dell,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, I have performed research but I cannot find the similar
error reported so far. Would you please send me a screen shot of the error
message so that I can perform further research?

To take a screen shot:
---------------------
1. Press the Pr Scrn key once on the keyboard when the error message
appears.
2. Click Start, go to Run, enter MSPAINT in the open dialog box, and then
Click OK.
3. Use Ctrl + V to paste the screenshot to the canvas.
4. From the File menu, go to Save and save it as a JPG file.
5. Send the JPG file to me as an attachment.
My mailbox: (e-mail address removed)

Please test the issue in Safe Mode to see if the issue still occurs in this
mode.
Start your computer in safe mode
<http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/323ef48f-7b93-4079-a48a
-5c58eec904a11033.mspx>

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: =?Utf-8?B?RGVsbCBCb3k=?= <Dell (e-mail address removed)>
| Subject: Error When Generating System Health Report
| Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 09:44:25 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
|
| I'm setting up a brand new Dell Dimension which has a good spec, e.g.
Intel
| E6600 processor, 2GB 666Mhz RAM, etc, and latest Windows updates. When I
go
| to Control Panel �System And Maintenance - Performance Information And
Tools
| �Advanced Tools �Generate A System Health Report I get the following
error:

| "An error occurred while attempting to generate the report. The wait for
the
| report generation tool to finish has timed out."
|
| Has anyone any ideas on this? The machine doesn't appear unhealthy (I've
| checked the Windows event Logs) but I would like to check it oput with a
| System Health Report if possible.

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Malcolm,

I have received your screenshot but I cannot find any similar issues
reported so far in our internal knowledge base. Therefore, I suggest you
try to boot into Clean Boot mode to see if the issue still occurs in this
mode.

Note: You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the
Administrators group to follow these steps. If the computer is connected to
a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from follow these
steps.

1. Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press
ENTER.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type
your password, or click Continue.
2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then clear the Load
system services and Load Startup Items check boxes. You cannot clear the
Use Original Boot.ini check box.
3. On the Services tab, select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box,
and then click Disable All.
4. Click OK, and then click Restart to restart the computer.
5. After Windows starts, determine whether the symptoms still occur.
Note: Look closely at the General tab to make sure that the check boxes
that you cleared are still cleared. Continue to step 6 if all of the check
boxes are cleared. If the Load System Services check box is the only
disabled check box, the computer is not clean-booted. If additional check
boxes are disabled and the issue is not resolved, you may require help from
the manufacturer of the program that puts a check mark back in Msconfig.

If all of the check boxes are cleared, and the issue is not resolved, you
may have to repeat steps 1 through 5. However, you may also have to clear
the Load System Services check box on the General tab. This temporarily
disables Microsoft services (such as, Networking, Plug and Play, Event
Logging, and Error Reporting) and permanently deletes all restore points
for the System Restore utility. Do not do this if you want to keep your
restore points for System Restore or if you must use a Microsoft service to
test the issue.

6. Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press
ENTER.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type
your password, or click Continue.
7. On the General tab, select the Load system services check box, click OK,
and then click Restart to restart the computer. If the issue continues, the
issue is with one of the System services. If the issue does not continue,
repeat this step for the Load Startup Items check box. After the issue
occurs, the last item that you selected is the item where the issue is
occurring.

Note: We strongly recommend that you do not use System Configuration
Utility to modify the Boot Advanced options on the computer without the
direction of a Microsoft support engineer. Doing this may make the computer
unusable.

> [...]

| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > ====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: =?Utf-8?B?RGVsbCBCb3k=?= <Dell (e-mail address removed)>
| > | Subject: Error When Generating System Health Report
| > | Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 09:44:25 -0800
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
| > |
| > | I'm setting up a brand new Dell Dimension which has a good spec, e.g.
| > Intel
| > | E6600 processor, 2GB 666Mhz RAM, etc, and latest Windows updates.
When I
| > go
| > | to Control Panel â�System And Maintenance - Performance
Information And
| > Tools
| > | â�Advanced Tools â�Generate A System Health Report I get the
following
| > error:
| > |
| > | "An error occurred while attempting to generate the report. The wait
for
| > the
| > | report generation tool to finish has timed out."
| > |
| > | Has anyone any ideas on this? The machine doesn't appear unhealthy
(I've
| > | checked the Windows event Logs) but I would like to check it oput
with a
| > | System Health Report if possible.
| > |

Thank you for this.

As I said in my previous post the computer has now had to be passed on to
the client for whom I was preparing it so I can't carry the troubleshooting
out.

However, if it does come in to my possesion again I will follow your advice.

Many thanks.

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
> [...]

so
| > ====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: =?Utf-8?B?RGVsbCBCb3k=?= <Dell (e-mail address removed)>
| > | Subject: Error When Generating System Health Report
| > | Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 09:44:25 -0800
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
| > |
| > | I'm setting up a brand new Dell Dimension which has a good spec, e.g.
| > Intel
| > | E6600 processor, 2GB 666Mhz RAM, etc, and latest Windows updates.
When I
| > go
| > | to Control Panel â�System And Maintenance - Performance
Information And
| > Tools
| > | â�Advanced Tools â�Generate A System Health Report I get the
| > |
| > | "An error occurred while attempting to generate the report. The wait
for
| > the
| > | report generation tool to finish has timed out."
| > |
| > | Has anyone any ideas on this? The machine doesn't appear unhealthy
(I've
| > | checked the Windows event Logs) but I would like to check it oput
with a
| > | System Health Report if possible.
| > |

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Ok, no problem.

> [...]

| > issue is with one of the System services. If the issue does not
continue,
| > repeat this step for the Load Startup Items check box. After the issue
| > occurs, the last item that you selected is the item where the issue is
| > occurring.
| >
| > Note: We strongly recommend that you do not use System Configuration
| > Utility to modify the Boot Advanced options on the computer without the
| > direction of a Microsoft support engineer. Doing this may make the
computer
| > unusable.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader

| > |
| > | Thank you for your response.
| > |
| > | Screen shot has been sent as requested.
| > |
| > | I booted to safe mode but couldn’t work out how to launch the
System
| > Health
| > | Report so can’t tell you whether the problem occurs in Safe
Mode or not.
| > |
| > | The machine is going to the client for whom it is intended in a
couple of
| > | hours and from then on I won’t have easy access to it but this
might be
| > worth
| > | looking in to anyway?
| > |
| > |
| > | ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
| > |

| > error

| > then

| > this

<http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/323ef48f-7b93-4079-a48a

| > <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > so
| > rights.

| > | > |
| > When I
| > Information And
I get the
| > following
| > | > |
| > for
| > | > |
| > (I've
| > with a
| > | > |

| > |

I have exactly the same issue. When trying to use the Generate Systems
Health Report I get an error message that the report has "timed out".
Here is the complete message:
Error: An error occured while attempting to generate the report.
The wait for the report generation tool to finish has timed out.

I have aleady wiped my system once (as suggested by the Microsoft Help Desk)
and since done a clean-install, but the error has remained.

I have also notice on the web (not within this site) that other user have
similar/same issue with this Report generation.

Can you help?

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
> [...]

| > issue is with one of the System services. If the issue does not
continue,
| > repeat this step for the Load Startup Items check box. After the issue
| > occurs, the last item that you selected is the item where the issue is
| > occurring.
| >
| > Note: We strongly recommend that you do not use System Configuration
| > Utility to modify the Boot Advanced options on the computer without the
| > direction of a Microsoft support engineer. Doing this may make the
computer
| > unusable.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader

| > |
| > | Thank you for your response.
| > |
| > | Screen shot has been sent as requested.
| > |
| > | I booted to safe mode but couldn’t work out how to launch the
System
| > Health
| > | Report so can’t tell you whether the problem occurs in Safe
Mode or not.
| > |
| > | The machine is going to the client for whom it is intended in a
couple of
| > | hours and from then on I won’t have easy access to it but this
might be
| > worth
| > | looking in to anyway?
| > |