Error message

stuart

When i try to do a Update for XP Home i get this message
Error number: 0x80070424. I have SP 1&2 installed and
tried to re-install SP" but to no avail. I have no other
firewall only SP2`s. Can anyone hgelp me on this.Thx in
advance

Ashokan Achari [MSFT]

Hi,

The error 0x80070424 indicates that either the "Background Intelligent
Transfer Service" is not running or could be corrupted.

Description of "Background Intelligent Transfer Service"
Transfers files in the background using idle network bandwidth. If the
service is stopped, features such as Windows Update, and MSN Explorer will
be unable to automatically download programs and other information. If this
service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it may fail to
transfer files if they do not have a fail safe mechanism to transfer files
directly through IE in case BITS has been disabled.

Please check if the service is running by:
1. Click on Start -> Run
2. Type "services.msc" (without quotes) to start the Services tool.
3. See if the service "Background Intelligent Transfer Service" status is
"STARTED"
4. If the service is not started, please right mouse click and select "All
Tasks -> Start"

If the above proceedure doesn't help, please reinstall the BITS service by:
Note: To do this procedure you need to have a retail copy of the Windows XP
cd-rom. Also please note that the Recovery cd supplied with OEM system
will not help.

1. Click on Start -> Run
2. Type as follows in one line:
%SystemRoot%\System32\rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection
DefaultInstall 132 %SystemRoot%\inf\qmgr.inf
3. When prompted for the CD, Insert the windows XP cd.

Hope this helps ...... :)

Ashok (Ashokan Achari)

The Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

--------------------
- - From: "stuart" <[email protected]>
- - Subject: Error message
- - Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 10:59:45 -0000
- -
- - When i try to do a Update for XP Home i get this message
- - Error number: 0x80070424. I have SP 1&2 installed and
- - tried to re-install SP" but to no avail. I have no other
- - firewall only SP2`s. Can anyone hgelp me on this.Thx in
- - advance
- -
- -
- -

THIS PROCESS DOES NOT WORK. When i type it all in and click ""ok"" i get a
RUNDLL message saying the file is missing.

HELP!!!

Ashokan Achari [MSFT]

Hi,

Please type "%SystemRoot%\System32\rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection
DefaultInstall 132 %SystemRoot%\inf\qmgr.inf" in one line. The command may
wrap up as the command spilits into two lines. Type it as one command and
it should work.

Hope this helps ...... :)

Ashok (Ashokan Achari)

The Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

--------------------
- - From: "=?Utf-8?B?T2xpdmlhIEhpZ2dpbnM=?=" <Olivia
(e-mail address removed)>
- - Subject: RE: Error message
- - Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 11:15:02 -0700
- - Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
- -
- - THIS PROCESS DOES NOT WORK. When i type it all in and click ""ok"" i
get a
- - RUNDLL message saying the file is missing.
- -
- - HELP!!!
- -
- - "Ashokan Achari [MSFT]" wrote:
- -
- - > Hi,
- - >
[...]
- - > - - From: "stuart" <[email protected]>
- - > - - Subject: Error message
- - > - - Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 10:59:45 -0000
- - > - -