Error Loading Profile

S

Sam

I have active directory on a Domain Controller with a folder of roaming profiles. I have two additional servers running Windows 2000 with Terminal Services and Citrix XP. Recently I starting having an issue with a select few users. I am using Load balancing so when a user logs on he will be logged on to either of the two servers and his profile will get copied to that server until he logs off. For some reason when some users try to log on to one of these servers the system starts to log them on by Loading Personal Settings and then they get an error message box with the following error: "USER Environment - Windows cannot log you on because the profile can not be loaded. Contact your network administrator. Access is being denied."

At the same time there are 2 events in the application log on the server as follows:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 10/2/2003
Time: 11:26:55 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: SNG2000B
Description:
Windows cannot log you on because the profile cannot be loaded. Contact your network administrator.

DETAIL - Access is denied.

Time: 11:26:24 AM
Description:
RegLoadKey failed. Return value Access is denied. for M:\Documents and Settings\kmonks\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\\UsrClass.dat.

Interesting enough I checked the Roaming Profile store folder on the DC Server and the folder Local Settings under kmonks doesn't even exist or under any other user, so this is obviously created at login. I watched the Doc and Settings folder on that server as the user tried to log on and I noticed that it created a folder kmonks and then when the user received the previous error window the folder disappeared. I tried creating a folder under Documents and Settings kmonks and assigning security permissions for the user but then when the user logs in, windows creates a folder kmonks.000 so I tried creating a folder kmonks.000 and then windows creates a folder kmonks but refuses to the let the user log in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sam

T

Tim Springston \(MSFT\)

Hi Sam-

It is possible that the user's profile may have some open keys resulting in the access denied. This can happen from application not releasing those keys or from memory leaks among other things.

I understand that this only occurs for some users. Does it consistently occur for those users, no matter where they log on to, every time?

Also, I would suggest starting by getting a more detailed idea of what is happening as the problem occurs. To do this, enable USERENV logging on the machine the user is trying to log onto when they get the problem.

221833 How to Enable User Environment Debug Logging in Retail Builds of Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=221833

--
Tim Springston
Microsoft Corporation

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
I have active directory on a Domain Controller with a folder of roaming profiles. I have two additional servers running Windows 2000 with Terminal Services and Citrix XP. Recently I starting having an issue with a select few users. I am using Load balancing so when a user logs on he will be logged on to either of the two servers and his profile will get copied to that server until he logs off. For some reason when some users try to log on to one of these servers the system starts to log them on by Loading Personal Settings and then they get an error message box with the following error: "USER Environment - Windows cannot log you on because the profile can not be loaded. Contact your network administrator. Access is being denied."

At the same time there are 2 events in the application log on the server as follows:

Description:
Windows cannot log you on because the profile cannot be loaded. Contact your network administrator.

Description:
RegLoadKey failed. Return value Access is denied. for M:\Documents and Settings\kmonks\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\\UsrClass.dat.

Interesting enough I checked the Roaming Profile store folder on the DC Server and the folder Local Settings under kmonks doesn't even exist or under any other user, so this is obviously created at login. I watched the Doc and Settings folder on that server as the user tried to log on and I noticed that it created a folder kmonks and then when the user received the previous error window the folder disappeared. I tried creating a folder under Documents and Settings kmonks and assigning security permissions for the user but then when the user logs in, windows creates a folder kmonks.000 so I tried creating a folder kmonks.000 and then windows creates a folder kmonks but refuses to the let the user log in.

Sam

S

Sam

I will try the debug you suggest, but to answer your question. It constantly happens to one user logging on to one server. that's why I don't believe the issue is open keys because then this profile shouldn't be able to log onto any server.
Hi Sam-

It is possible that the user's profile may have some open keys resulting in the access denied. This can happen from application not releasing those keys or from memory leaks among other things.

I understand that this only occurs for some users. Does it consistently occur for those users, no matter where they log on to, every time?

Also, I would suggest starting by getting a more detailed idea of what is happening as the problem occurs. To do this, enable USERENV logging on the machine the user is trying to log onto when they get the problem.

--
Tim Springston
Microsoft Corporation

Description:

Description:

Sam

T

Tim Springston \(MSFT\)

Keys that a "left open" and not released would not prevent a profile from being accessed. The behavior you would see is exactly what you have described, however we need to enable the USERENV logging (and possibly additional data gathering) to see what is happening.

--
Tim Springston
Microsoft Corporation

I will try the debug you suggest, but to answer your question. It constantly happens to one user logging on to one server. that's why I don't believe the issue is open keys because then this profile shouldn't be able to log onto any server.
Hi Sam-

--
Tim Springston
Microsoft Corporation

Description:

Description:

Sam

S

Sam

I am trying to attach the log file but it is too large for the newsgroup. Can you give me an email address where I can send it to.

Thanks

Sam
Keys that a "left open" and not released would not prevent a profile from being accessed. The behavior you would see is exactly what you have described, however we need to enable the USERENV logging (and possibly additional data gathering) to see what is happening.

--
Tim Springston
Microsoft Corporation

Hi Sam-

--
Tim Springston
Microsoft Corporation

Description:

Description:

Sam

P

Paul

I'm having the same problem with the same event log error
1000. All WS and servers are running SP4, and latest
hotfixes.

I've turned on the userenv.log, and this is a sample...

USERENV(c0.a8) 11:55:06:238 MyRegUnLoadKey: Hive unload
for S-1-5-21-587491783-915562515-1543859470-1084 failed
due to open registry key. Windows will try unloading the
registry hive once a second for the next 60 seconds (max).
USERENV(c0.a8) 11:56:21:296 MyRegUnLoadKey: Windows was
not able to unload the registry hive.
USERENV(c0.a8) 11:56:21:296 MyRegUnLoadKey: Failed to
unmount hive 5
USERENV(c0.a8) 11:56:21:296 UnloadUserProfile: Didn't
unload user profile <err = 5>
USERENV(c0.a8) 11:56:21:306 DumpOpenRegistryHandle: 2 user
registry Handles leaked from \Registry\User\S-1-5-21-
587491783-915562515-1543859470-1084
USERENV(c0.a8) 11:56:21:306 ReportEvent failed. Error =

Please help!!
-----Original Message-----
I am trying to attach the log file but it is too large
for the newsgroup. Can you give me an email address where
I can send it to.
Thanks

Sam
"Tim Springston (MSFT)" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
Keys that a "left open" and not released would not
prevent a profile from being accessed. The behavior you
would see is exactly what you have described, however we
need to enable the USERENV logging (and possibly
additional data gathering) to see what is happening.
--
Tim Springston
Microsoft Corporation

I will try the debug you suggest, but to answer your
question. It constantly happens to one user logging on to
one server. that's why I don't believe the issue is open
keys because then this profile shouldn't be able to log
onto any server.
"Tim Springston (MSFT)"
Hi Sam-

It is possible that the user's profile may have
some open keys resulting in the access denied. This can
happen from application not releasing those keys or from
memory leaks among other things.
I understand that this only occurs for some users.
Does it consistently occur for those users, no matter
where they log on to, every time?
Also, I would suggest starting by getting a more
detailed idea of what is happening as the problem occurs.
To do this, enable USERENV logging on the machine the user
is trying to log onto when they get the problem.

--
Tim Springston
Microsoft Corporation

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no
warranties, and confers no rights.
I have active directory on a Domain Controller
with a folder of roaming profiles. I have two additional
servers running Windows 2000 with Terminal Services and
Citrix XP. Recently I starting having an issue with a
select few users. I am using Load balancing so when a user
logs on he will be logged on to either of the two servers
and his profile will get copied to that server until he
logs off. For some reason when some users try to log on to
one of these servers the system starts to log them on by
Loading Personal Settings and then they get an error
message box with the following error: "USER Environment -
Windows cannot log you on because the profile can not be
loaded. Contact your network administrator. Access is
being denied."
At the same time there are 2 events in the
application log on the server as follows:
Description:
Windows cannot log you on because the profile
cannot be loaded. Contact your network administrator.

Description:
RegLoadKey failed. Return value Access is
denied. for M:\Documents and Settings\kmonks\Local
Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\\UsrClass.dat.

Interesting enough I checked the Roaming Profile
store folder on the DC Server and the folder Local
Settings under kmonks doesn't even exist or under any
other user, so this is obviously created at login. I
watched the Doc and Settings folder on that server as the
user tried to log on and I noticed that it created a
folder kmonks and then when the user received the previous
error window the folder disappeared. I tried creating a
folder under Documents and Settings kmonks and assigning
security permissions for the user but then when the user
logs in, windows creates a folder kmonks.000 so I tried
creating a folder kmonks.000 and then windows creates a
folder kmonks but refuses to the let the user log in.

T

Tim Springston \(MSFT\)

The best way to determine what it is that is holding these keys open would
be a tool such as DebugView.exe from http://www.sysinternals.com. The basic
idea is to find the process that is holding these keys open at logoff.

These issues can be difficult to track down, but feel free to repost if we
can advise.

Ask a Question