error loading os

David Cockram

Hi,
I have 2 SATA drives, and I've been struggling to do a simple clone of my
Seagate C: partiton to a Maxtor F: partition.
I've tried Ghost 9.0, Acronis True Image 8.0 and other trial software. In
most cases I got as far as a login screen and it reverted to a plain blue
screen with cursor. I always remove Seagate before trying to boot with the
cloned Maxtor. The only thing that did consistently work was Acronis Migrate
Easy, but the problem is that you need to copy the entire disk. That means
overwriting the other Maxtor partitions. But it proves that it did work. Now
why did it, and not the others?

Now whilst playing around with all this I noticed that I was getting 'error
giving this message, and not even attempting to boot as it had previosly
done. I tried using sysprep with the same result.

Then I tried removing partitions completely from the Maxtor, using fdisk and
dos to format, using Max Blast to format, using the
XP repair tool, fixmbr, fixboot. You name it I tried it I think.

So I then thought I'd see if I could install XP on this drive. No, I get the
same message when it gets to the booting from disk stage.

Firstly, any ideas what could have caused this, and secondly do I need to do
a low level format to get this drive back to normal shipping condition. If
so, could someone tell me how, and what software to use, as I've done this
before.

I've now done a fair bit of reading about cloning. For a lot of people it
seems to be a completely painless process using Ghost or Acronis. For many
others including me, it just doesn't seem to work, and I've seen the same
issues reported over and over with no workable solutions.

Ah well, I'll get there in the end. Maybe sooner with your help. Thanks,

Dave Cockram

Yves Leclerc

On your Seagate drive, did you add the SATA drivers?? The SATA drivers may
need to be installed before you clone the drive??

David,

Try using the Maxtor as a SLAVE, first. Install the Maxtor software, from
CD to the Master HD. ONce done you have XP on the master with the necessary
files to enable reading of the Maxtor HD. Format the Maxtor to a single
Partition and then when complete use the ghost to copy from Master to SLave.
Now remove the Master, set the jumpers on the slave for Master and reboot. If
this doesn't work, ignore what I said, have a couple of shots of J.D. and
start over. Good Luck.

Jeff

Another thing that you might check is in your Bios to make sure that the
SATA drive is still set as the boot drive. My system will periodically drop
the Sata drive as the boot drive and I have to go into the Bios and reset it
as the boot drive. I have not found an answer as to why that happens but so
far everytime that I have recieved the error loading os that has been the
problem. Just a thought.

Jeff

Cycle

Jeff said:
Another thing that you might check is in your Bios to make sure that the
SATA drive is still set as the boot drive. My system will periodically
drop
the Sata drive as the boot drive and I have to go into the Bios and reset
it
as the boot drive. I have not found an answer as to why that happens but
so
far everytime that I have recieved the error loading os that has been the
problem. Just a thought.

Jeff

I seem to have found a cure for my particular “Error loading OS” problem.

I have two Maxtor SATA hard disc drives. These show up in my BIOS as
PM-Maxtor, and underneath SM-Maxtor (i.e. Primary and Secondary). The first
drive in this list, PM-Maxtor, is the boot drive containing the operating
system.

On boot-up, the BIOS looks for an operating system on the first drive in the
list only. Thus it looks on PM-Maxtor, finds the operating system, and boots
up.

However, about once a week on boot-up I got the “Error loading OS” message.
I noticed that in the BIOS, PM-Maxtor and SM-Maxtor had changed places. So
SM-Maxtor was being searched for the operating system – and it did not have
one of course.

I think I may have found out why this changeover was happening. The SATA
lead connecting the PM-Maxtor drive to the motherboard fitted very loosely
on the pins on the drive. At boot-up, with the metal cold, it was as though
the PM drive was not making good enough contact with the motherboard and was
not being properly detected by the BIOS.

I replaced the SATA connecting lead with one of a better quality that
gripped the connecting pins on the drive more firmly, and have not had the
“Error loading OS” message in four months. As it was happening weekly in the
two months prior to changing the lead, I think there is a strong possibility
that the problem, in my case at least, was caused by poor electrical
connections. (Once I suspected what was happening, I pushed the original
lead onto the drive tightly, where it lasted about a week before giving
trouble again.)

I should be interested to know what make of drive and SATA lead is being
used by anyone else with this problem.

Cycle.

David Cockram

OK, we're making some progress here. I can now make and restore a clone copy
in Acronis 8.0.

I need to follow these steps EXACTLY.

1. Don't format or give a drive letter to the recipient drive (Maxtor first
partition here)
2. Use Acronis from boot CD not XP
3. Swap SATA cables before rebooting so Maxtor drive is now on same cable as
original Seagate

And this is the killer - if I don't do one of these and the cloning process
fails, than it will ALWAYS fail UNTIL I do a disk copy with Acronis. This
overwrites my entire drive and it's not entirely convenient to ship out
100GB of data to somewhere else. (Andrew mentions earlier in the thread a
method using recovery console which I'll try if I need to in future.) And
bizarrely this not only clones the drive correctly, but it puts it back to
normal such that I can now successfully clone a partition.

So, what on earth is going on here? Why did the boot sector get screwed up
( I assume that's what it was) and why did none of the standard fixes for
this type of problem not work - fixboot /fixmbr?

I gather at least some of this is caused by me using SATA drives. Perhaps
there will be no such problems with Ghost 10.0 and Acronis 9.0?

Dave

Walter Clayton

Prior to the clone, delete all but the default value from
HKLM\system\mounteddevices.

David Cockram

Presumably XP will just rebuild this from scratch again? Do you think that
is what stopped the clone booting when it almost got to the login screen and
then reverted to a plain blue screen with cursor?

Dave

Walter Clayton

Yes it will get rebuilt and yes, if that's not deleted then cloning just the
partition image itself can cause some less than desirable results. In fact
if you check
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\KeysNotToRestore MS back
up / restore tools don't restore that key.

David Cockram

Walter, HELP! ! !

I deleted that key as suggested, HKLM\system\mounteddevices (except default
value).
Before restoring the clone onto the other drive I decided to just check the
values in the key after rebooting and supposedly rebuilding.

After entering my password at the log in screen, it immediately reverts to
logging off . . .
I have tried everything I can think of, safe mode, boot disk but can't log
on any more.

I then tried restoring the saved cloned partition to the other drive and got
NTLDR is missing. So now I don't have any bootable drives.Back to Acronis
boot CD to restore an earlier clone that worked and restored. The first
partition, E: on the Maxtor was greyed out so I couldn't access it. I
eventually used MaxBlast to repartition and then Acronis restore worked, and
I'm now back to using an earlier saved clone that I've restored on the
Maxtor. I haven't touched the Seagate C: so if there's a way of accessing
and putting back this registry key (which I stupidly didn't feel the need to
save) maybe I can get back to normal.

I swear once this is over, I won't touch any of this software for a long,
long time. There are just too many issues and problems here. Restoring all
my programs in an emergency pales to insignificance compared with the time
and hassle spent so far.

Thanks in anticipation,

Dave