Error deploying XP SP2 with BDD 2.0 solution

Hi

I'm currently looking into deploying Windows XP SP2 with the MS BDD 2.0
Solution Accelerator.

I boot from the WinPE cd (winpeLab.iso) and choses complete build, it
connects to the server without problems and the installation begins, but when
it has finished the "Preparing Installation" phase and copied the files it
goes back to the first phase again (Collecting Information) and nothing
happens, I've even left it there over night.
As far as I've read on the internet it is supposed to reboot automatically
after the File-copying phase in "Preparing Installation"?
If I do a manual 'forced' reboot (without booting from the PE cd) it goes
into text-mode, copies files again and the installation continues without any
problems (as far as I know).
Anyone has any suggestions to what I should do to solve this problem?

Best Regards

Johan Arwidmark

Hi Niklas,

Yes, it should reboot shortly after finish copying files in the
preparing installation phase.

In BDD 2.0 Winnt32.exe is launched with the /noreboot switch and
transfers the control of the reboot for the build.cmd command (Its the
final EXIT command in the build.cmd file that exits WinPE which
reboots the computer).

BDD 2.0 also launches Winnt32 with the /debug4 switch and stores the
debug.log logfile in the c:\local folder on the client. You might
yield some clues by looking into that file.

Have you done any changes to the build.cmd command (in the control
folder) ?

regards
Johan Arwidmark

Windows User Group - Nordic
http://www.wug-nordic.net

Glenn Fincher

"Niklas Andersson (Qbranch)" <Niklas Andersson
(Qbranch)@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
[...]

I have reposted your issue to the new deployment.desktop newsgroup, where
questions specific to the BDD Solution Accelerator are now answered.

From your message, you chose the "Build the machine completely now" choice
from the lab ISO. BDD scripts record their status in a log file located at:

c:\windows\setuplog1.log

You can access this file from within Windows PE, or after boot. Did you
make any manual changes to the unattend.txt file when you ran the
Configuration Wizard? If so, what were they? Also... what type of machine
are you building using the system? MFG/Model #?

I haven't seen your exact problem, but there are similar ones described on
the net during otherwise normal upgrades or new installs, so perhaps with
more details we can assist you better.

Glenn Fincher

Colin Barnhorst

There is a brand new newsgroup, microsoft.public.deployment.desktop, in
which BDD is a central theme. You might want to post there as well.

"Niklas Andersson (Qbranch)" <Niklas Andersson
(Qbranch)@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Hi

Sloppy of me not to check the log-files...
Last line in the debug.log is:
396.29 MB copied. Elapsed time: 00:03:18
and all the copy commands has a [OK] as far as i can see.

The setuplog1.log hasn't been created yet at this time.

The line that calls winnt32 in Build.cmd looks a bit funny with so many
"/s:c:\local\source\i386" (see below)

==============================
Build.cmd looks like (which I haven't touched):
@echo off
://////////////////////////////////////////////////
://
:// Script File:
://
:// BUILD.CMD
://
:// This batch file is called by the "Build" hypertext application
:// (HTA). It initiates the copying of the installation source files
:// to the target machine, then starts an unattended installation
:// using WINNT32 to perform the actual Windows XP installation.
://
:// Notes:
://
:// Usage:
:// Build.cmd <Choice> <Build> "<SourcePath>"
://
:// Typical modifications:
:// (None)
://
://////////////////////////////////////////////////

REM Specify what partitioning commands to use.

Set disk=Diskpart.txt

REM Determine what to do after the build is complete, based on the
REM passed-in parameter value.

set prep=""

if %1==3 goto setup
if %1==2 goto smsicw
if %1==1 goto sysprep
goto done

:sysprep
set prep=sysprep
set disk=diskpart1.txt
goto setup

:smsicw
set prep=smsicw
set disk=diskpart1.txt

REM Initiate Diskpart then format the disk

:setup

REM Use Diskpart to wipe the disk and create a single partition
Diskpart -s m:\control\%disk%

REM Format the new partition as NTFS
Format c: /fs:NTFS /v:"" /Q /Y

REM Copy the needed files to the disk

md c:\local
md c:\sysprep
echo %prep% > c:\local\%prep%.txt

copy M:\Control\%2\sysprep.inf c:\sysprep\sysprep.inf >nul
copy M:\Control\%2\unattend.txt c:\local\unattend.txt >nul

echo %2 > c:\local\build-%2.txt
echo %2\i386 > C:\local\os.txt
MD c:\Local\Source
MD c:\Local\Source\i386
MD C:\Local\Source\i386\$OEM$

Xcopy M:\%3\i386 c:\Local\source\i386\ /S /E /H
if exist m:\%3\Cmpnents\TabletPC\i386\TABLETPC.CAB Xcopy M:\%3\Cmpnents
c:\Local\source\Cmpnents\ /S /E /H
xcopy "M:\Master $OEM$\$OEM$" c:\local\source\i386\$OEM$ /S /E /H

REM Initiate the unattended install

:strt
c:
cd \local\source\i386

if exist c:\local\source\cmpnents goto WinntTablet
winnt32.exe /unattend1:C:\local\unattend.txt /s:c:\local\source\i386
/s:c:\local\source\i386 /s:c:\local\source\i386 /s:c:\local\source\i386
/s:c:\local\source\i386 /s:c:\local\source\i386 /s:c:\local\source\i386
/s:c:\local\source\i386 /syspart:c: /tempdrive:c: /debug4:c:\local\debug.log
/noreboot

goto done

:WinntTablet
winnt32.exe /unattend1:C:\local\unattend.txt /s:c:\local\source\i386
/s:c:\local\source\i386 /s:c:\local\source\i386 /s:c:\local\source\i386
/s:c:\local\source\i386 /s:c:\local\source\i386 /s:c:\local\source\i386
/s:c:\local\source\i386 /syspart:c: /tempdrive:c: /debug4:c:\local\debug.log
/noreboot /makelocalsource:all

:Done
exit

==============================

Hi

The setuplog1.log hasn't been created at the time the installation stops.
But in the debug.log I can't see any errors.
I changed the unattend.txt to set locale, language, time-zone aso to
sweden/swedish (also tried only leaving Language=041d), I told it to join a
domain (which I can see it does if I complete the installation by rebooting
manually), entered the PID-key. What I've seen that it doesn't do is change
the screen resolution, regardless what i set in the unattend.txt it uses
640x480 after installation.
Further I turned off some of the components and added a couple of trusted
zones to IE,
and thats about it.
I'm running this in a lab setup in WMware Workstation 4.5.2

/ Niklas Andersson