Error creating new ASP.NET application

Shane O'Keeffe

Hi,

I am getting the following error message when I attempt to create a
new ASP.NET (C#) web application:

The Web server reported the following error when attempting to create
or open the Web projects located at the following URL:
'http://localhost/WebApplication1'. 'HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server
Error'.

I can open existing ASP.NET projects and launch/debug them without any
problem. I can also browse them directly i.e. without going through
VS.NET.

So far I have tried changing the permissions of IIS, modifying the VS
Developers group permissions, adding the ASPNET login to the VS
Developers group and I have also tried running "aspnet_regiis -i".

Can anyone please help me to resolve this problem without having to
re-build
the machine?

My configuration is as follows:

Windows 2000 SP4
Visual Studio 2003 v7.1.3088
..NET Framework 1.1.4322.573

Thanks in advance,

Shane O'Keeffe

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hi Shane,

Here's a solution that someone posted previously. Could you let us know if
you try it and if it works for you?

Ken
Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]

Resolution:

1) Delete the ASPNET account using Computer Management.

2) Recreate the ASPNET account by running: aspnet_regiis -I, from

C:\<winDir>\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322 directory :

Click Start, and then click Run.

In the Open text box, type cmd, and then press ENTER.

At the command prompt, type the following, and then press ENTER:

"%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\version\aspnet_regiis.exe" -i

In this path, version represents the version number of the .NET Framework
that you installed on your server.

You must replace this placeholder with the actual version number when you
type the command. If you use Visual Studio 2003 and framework 1.1 it it
v1.1.4322

3) Restart IIS.

4) Now the ASPX pages should work fine and you also should be able to create
new ASP.NET web projects.

Shane O'Keeffe

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your reply. I followed the steps below but I am still
getting the same error message.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Shane.

Patrick.O.Ige

WHAT exactly is the error!

"Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
[...]

I've identified the issue by comparing the IIS configuration of my
machine with another developer's workstation.

In the Properties secion of the 'Default Web Site' in the 'Home
Directory' tab the 'Application Name' settings was blanked out. All I
had to do was to click the 'Create' button and things returned to
normal.

I've no idea how this happened as I had not chaned my IIS config in
some months. However, I'm just glad to have it working.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Shane.

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hi Shane,

Thanks for reporting back!

I'm sure your solution will help someone else.

I'll add it to my "weird stuff that can happen" file.

Ken

HI Shane,

Your solution solves my problem. I spend almost four hours on this internal
server error, after reading your solution(Click on create) i am able to solve
my problem. Thanks!!!

mahesh

Thanks for the info. I was having the same problem, and the steps listed
below did the trick.

Shane O'Keeffe said:
[...]

Hello,
I tried this solution. Whereas before i was able to create new projects,
and not able to load exisitng ones, now i cannot do either. I am getting an
Internal Server error 500.

Any sugegstions?
Thanks,
Sonali