error converting bookmarks

G

What happens if you follow these steps?

1. Start Internet Explorer.
2. On the File menu, click Import and Export, and then click Next.
3. Click Import Favorites and then click Next.
4. Select "Browse..." and locate your bookmark.htm file. (Avoid importing from the desktop. Copy the file to the default directory or the c: drive if you have problems).
5. Select "Next".
6. The root node "Favorites" is the default but you can change it if you like. Then select "Next".
7. Select "Finish".

The steps on the page you are referencing are for older versions of Internet Explorer.

If that doesn't work, there is a work around. Open your bookmark.htm file in Internet Explorer and add the favorites by hand. Just right click on each link and choose "Add to Favorites". If you have a lot of favorites, this might not be an option.

Alex Scott [MSFT]

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

G

4. Select "Browse..." and locate your bookmark.htm file. (Avoid importing from the desktop. Copy the file to the default directory or the c: drive if you have problems).
5. Select "Next".
6. The root node "Favorites" is the default but you can change it if you like. Then select "Next".
7. Select "Finish".

The steps on the page you are referencing are for older versions of Internet Explorer.

If that doesn't work, there is a work around. Open your bookmark.htm file in Internet Explorer and add the favorites by hand. Just right click on each link and choose "Add to Favorites". If you have a lot of favorites, this might not be an option.

Alex Scott [MSFT]

G

5. Select "Next".
7. Select "Finish".

Alex Scott [MSFT]

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Eep=B2?=

Yes, I use the bookmark (favorite) import method in the latest IE 6. It doesn't work and gives the error I wrote below. I get the "Personal Toolbar" links but nothing after it (though no directories are created). I've even tried deleting the personal toolbar bookmarks prior to IE import but still the same error.

5. Select "Next".
7. Select "Finish".

Alex Scott [MSFT]

Eep said:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;152681 says nothing if Netscape Navigator's bookmarks WON'T convert. I get a generic "Error Converting Bookmarks" when trying to convert Netscape Navigator 4.77 bookmarks into IE 6.

Reaction score
Another solution

Firefox allows bookmarks to have the same name, I had inadvertently named to links to slightly different URLs, and with the fact that you dont necessarily have to sort them alphabetically it makes it a bit more difficult. So when I imported them to IE it doesnt like it and bombs out with an import error.

Just another option for everyone:)

Ask a Question