Error 3197

G

hi, i need help on how to resolve Error 3197 "The Microsoft Jet database
engine stopped the process because you and anotheruser
are attempting to change the same data at the same time".
I have a program created in Access 97 and is now migrated to Access 2000. Currently I have Windows 2000 SP4 and Office 2000 SP3 installed in my test PC.
The user encountered the error after adding a record in the subform of the main form. Note that the program is setup as a stand alone program, no other user is accessing the database. The program has a front end and back end database - 2 databases, one as the main database, the other as for temporary tables for reporting purposes. All these databases are in Access 2000 also.

i dont think this has anything to do with corrupted database, I am able to open all the databases and the weird part is the error only occurs in subsequent updates of records (when you add for the first time, the error does not occur). I already checked for the open connections and i made it sure that all the recordsets i created are closed after the updates.

i tried everything that the users posted here in the newsgroup but no luck.

hope i get some help from you guys, thanks!

G

I would surmise that the "main form" is locking the data which the "subform" is attempting to modify. I haven't had that problem personally, but I can see it occurring depending on your design model. Particularly since >>when you add for the first time, the error does not occur<< it really seems like you're locking yourself out. Without a thorough inspection of your form design and code though it would be impossible to determine where exactly the problem lies.

G

hi guys!

still helpless here ;(

i tried to convert my program back to Access 97 and funny the error no longer appears when i add record to my subform
then i tried to convert it to Access 2000 and the error appears back.

i had some testing done using combination of Access 2000 and 97 database
1) front end Access 97 and back end Access 97 - no error
2) front end Access 2000 and back end Access 97 - no error
3) front end Access 2000 and back end Access 2000 - ERROR

pls, any idea how to resolve this?

Ask a Question