Error 1303: access to folder denied

Richard

I am trying to install Adobe Acrobat 6.0 on my laptop in C:\Program
Files\Adobe. In the middle of the installation I get an error message "Error
1303: The installer has insufficient privilege to access this directory:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Adobe PDF 6.0. The
installation cannot continue. Log on as an administrator . . ."

I am the sole user, and my user profile recognizes me as the administrator.
I had no difficulty installing it on my desktop (after first trying on the
laptop, so it was not because it was a second installation of the program).
Both computers are Dell Pentium 4 with WinXP Home. Thanks for any
suggestions.

Richard

Diana Smith [MSFT]

Hello Richard,

Boot into windows (safe mode) with an Administrative account (Had to boot
into safe mode to get the Security tab )

Checked the permissions of the "Documents and Settings" folder : (right
click and go to properties -> security tab)
- both SYSTEM and ADMINISTRATORS have full control : others are mentioned
but not important

Checked the permissions of the "All Users" folder : (right click and go to
properties -> security tab)
- both SYSTEM and ADMINISTRATORS have full control : others are mentioned
but not important

Checked the permissions of the "Documents" folder : (right click and go to
properties -> security tab)
only EVERYONE is listed (and the EVERYONE group did not have full
permissions : only had A) Read & Execute B) List Folder Contents C) Read
permissions :

ADD the SYSTEM group : done :
give SYSTEM full control : apply :
ADD the ADMINISTRATORS group : done :
give ADMINISTRATORS full control : apply :

closed all windows and rebooted the computer :

On reboot you shoud be able to install the program properly without error.

Thank You.

Diana

(e-mail address removed)

--------------------
| From: "Richard" <[email protected]>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
| Subject: Error 1303: access to folder denied
| Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 01:08:15 -0600
|
| I am trying to install Adobe Acrobat 6.0 on my laptop in C:\Program
| Files\Adobe. In the middle of the installation I get an error message
"Error
| 1303: The installer has insufficient privilege to access this directory:
| C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Adobe PDF 6.0. The
| installation cannot continue. Log on as an administrator . . ."
|
| I am the sole user, and my user profile recognizes me as the
administrator.
| I had no difficulty installing it on my desktop (after first trying on
the
| laptop, so it was not because it was a second installation of the
program).
| Both computers are Dell Pentium 4 with WinXP Home. Thanks for any
| suggestions.
|
| Richard

(e-mail address removed)

I have the exact same problem, trying to install Adobe Acrobat Elements on a
Dell, get same error message. Have tried all the MVP responses (How to take
ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP). It doesn't work. Furthermore,
in looking at all other similar problems, no one has acknowledged that this
fix actually works. Anyone have any other suggestions.

Thanks
Sue