message/thread by LMB with a solution to this issue.

From: "Dan"
Date: July 27, 2005 10:55 PM

I'm running XP Pro SP2, in a workgroup, not a domain. I
have multiple logins, all members of the Administrators
group. Only the user who installed the software can use
it.

Billions of the zillions of registry entries MSAS uses (the
HKCR\CLSID\* entries are ok) have permissions that allow
the installing user and the System account access to the
registry keys. The Administrators group is NOT granted
access -- which is what causes the other logins to fail
with the uninformative "Unexpected error; quitting"
message.

In a fit of anal-retentive pique I manually edited the
registry to grant Administrators Full permission to the
HKCR\Microsoft.AntiSpyware.Trust*,
HKLM\Software\Classes\Microsoft.AntiSpyware.Trust*,
HKCR\gc*, and HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\gc* keys. This solved
the problem (though it took me 30+ minutes) -- until I next
upgraded and/or reinstalled.

So this problem is NOT just about Administrator accounts,
it is also about the installer setting inappropriately
restrictive permissions on the registry keys. At the very
least it should be possible to have an installer that gave
permissions to Administrators rather than a single member
of the Administrators group...

If you are not familier with editing the Registry you
shouldn't do this, but it did work for me

Kevan Brown

See the following posting from today:

"Build 615 Multiple Profiles Bug and Fix (a.k.a. Error
101)"

Kevan Brown