epson printers & memory problems

Newberry

This message has also been posted to alt.comp.periphs.printers.

Hello, I've bought an Epson PM240 photo printer as a xmas present for my
wife.
Unfortunately the printer doesn't recognise a 1GB Kingston SD card. I have
tried 3 different Kingston 1 Gb cards and none of them work. Other makes of
SD card work OK.

Epson support haven't been overly helpful, inferring that the problem is
with my Kingston memory cards.
Has anyone else had this type of problem?
Thanks
Newberry

Arthur Entlich

From a logical point of view, it does suggest the Kingston cards may be
at fault. Are they SD or perhaps MMC format or are they rated very
fast? Is it possible they are not formatted properly for images?

Kingston normally make high quality memory, or at least has a reputation
for it, and I think they are one of the few still offering lifetime
warranty on flash memory.

The only other thing that comes to mind is that the tolerances are a bit
out on the printer or the memory (in opposite directions) so they don't
mesh correctly physically.

Art

Newberry

Thanks for your reply Art.
It seems I will have to buy & try another brand of SD memory to use with
printer.
I did ask Epson if they had tried Kingston memory cards with their printers
but to date have not had a reply.
Newberry

Woody

Have you tried Kingston customer support? After all it is their product you
are trying to use that fails....

measekite

Woody wrote:

Have you tried Kingston customer support? After all it is their product you are trying to use that fails....

Kingston customer support is great.  They go overboard to help their customers.

"Newberry" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

Thanks for your reply Art. It seems I will have to buy & try another brand of SD memory to use with printer. I did ask Epson if they had tried Kingston memory cards with their printers but to date have not had a reply. Newberry "Arthur Entlich" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:cV8mh.548119$R63.298393@pd7urf1no...

From a logical point of view, it does suggest the Kingston cards may be at fault. Are they SD or perhaps MMC format or are they rated very fast? Is it possible they are not formatted properly for images? Kingston normally make high quality memory, or at least has a reputation for it, and I think they are one of the few still offering lifetime warranty on flash memory. The only other thing that comes to mind is that the tolerances are a bit out on the printer or the memory (in opposite directions) so they don't mesh correctly physically. Art Newberry wrote:

This message has also been posted to alt.comp.periphs.printers. Hello, I've bought an Epson PM240 photo printer as a xmas present for my wife. Unfortunately the printer doesn't recognise a 1GB Kingston SD card. I have tried 3 different Kingston 1 Gb cards and none of them work. Other makes of SD card work OK. Epson support haven't been overly helpful, inferring that the problem is with my Kingston memory cards. Has anyone else had this type of problem? Thanks Newberry

Arthur Entlich

The SD format is supposed to be standardized by the SD association.
I've found Kingston memory is usually good quality and I believe it has
a lifetime warranty.

Ok, another thought... SD memory has a memory protect lever on it... is
it possible this is set on "protect" mode and the printer needs to write
something to it?

It is surprising that the memory is not compatible with the Epson. Do
they work correctly in a camera of MP3 player? Perhaps they are too
large a capacity? Some products have a limit as to the capacity they
can read or the number of file entries they can access.

Art

Newberry

Good advice, I've emailed Kingston support.
I've also heard back from Epson support who said, "We cannot really
guarantee anything over 512MB will be recognised by this printer or any
other current printer we manufacture."

Not good news, I previously bought HP & Canon printers and not had problems
and will not buy Epson again.
Newberry