Energy Saving Feature to Shut Monitor Off

JCO

I use the Energy saving feature that shuts my monitor off after 10 minutes.
Screen saver comes on in 7 minutes. This allows me to use my password to
get back on my computer. The monitor will shut off by itself but then after
a few days, this feature won't work anymore. The screen saver still works
but the "Shut Off" will not.

I think it is tied to virus protection or SpyBot. I believe when these run,
it takes something out of the Registry. This causes me to reset the "Energy
Saving Feature" again. I'm sure something keeps getting messed up in the
Registry.

Can someone help me figure this out.
Thanks in advance.

NoNoBadDog!

JCO said:
I use the Energy saving feature that shuts my monitor off after 10 minutes.
Screen saver comes on in 7 minutes. This allows me to use my password to
get back on my computer. The monitor will shut off by itself but then
after
a few days, this feature won't work anymore. The screen saver still works
but the "Shut Off" will not.

I think it is tied to virus protection or SpyBot. I believe when these
run,
it takes something out of the Registry. This causes me to reset the
"Energy
Saving Feature" again. I'm sure something keeps getting messed up in the
Registry.

Can someone help me figure this out.
Thanks in advance.

First off, Spybot has nothing to do with virus protection. If you're
running spybot thinking you are protected against viruses, you are sadly
mistaken.

Secondly, if you know that Spybot makes a change to your registry that
alters the behavior of your profile, then why do you allow Spybot to do so?

Bobby

JCO

My virus (Norton SystemWorks 2006) protection and spybot runs at about the
same time. Yes I know the difference. I was not very clear in my write up.

Jason Tan

Hello,

Thank you for posting here!

I notice that you have posted the same question in our Windows XP gerneral
newsgroup, to which I have already responded. Please check my answer
there, and if you need any further assistance on this particular issue
please reply to me in that thread so I can follow up with you. In the
future, please don't cross-post the same question in multiple newsgroups.
This will help our engineers work on your question more efficiently. Your
understanding and cooperation is appreciated.

For your convenience, I have included my reply as follows:

------------------

Hello,

Thanks for posting!

From your post I understand that the "Turn off monitor" feature doesn't
work. If I have misunderstood your concerns please feel free to let me
know.

Suggestion 1: Yes, I agree with JLM. I also suggest you upgrade Windows XP
to the latest version. (Windows XP SP2)

Suggestion 2: Please boot the system into Safe Mode environment and test
the issue. Safe Mode loads a minimally protected-mode configuration,
disabling Windows device drivers and using the standard VGA display
adapter.

1. Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On
a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems,
you can press the F8 key when you see the Boot Menu.
2. In "Windows Advanced Option Menu", use the arrow keys to select Safe
Mode with Networking, and then press ENTER.
3. If you are running other operating systems on the computer, click
Microsoft Windows on the list that is displayed and then press ENTER.

Suggestion 3: Please perform a Clean Boot and verify if the issue persists.

To isolate the effect of third party applications, I would like to suggest
you perform a Clean Boot.

1. Click Start, click Run, type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in
the Open box, and then click OK.
2. In the Startup tab, click the "Disable All" button.
3. In the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" checkbox,
and then click the "Disable All" button.
4. Click OK and restart your computer.

I look forward to your reply. If there is anything that is unclear, please
feel free to get in touch.

Best Regards,

Jason Tan

Microsoft Online Partner Support