Enabling AVG for Thunderbird

Tamiami

Greetings,

I'd like to enable AVG to scan my Thunderbird inbox on my command (that
is, with AVG not continually running in the background) and I can't
finger out how. Like a right click option in Thunderbird on the inbox
that starts scanning all new messages.

AVG 7.1, T'bird 1.5x

Many thanks.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Tamiami said:
I'd like to enable AVG to scan my Thunderbird inbox on my command
(that is, with AVG not continually running in the background) and I
can't finger out how. Like a right click option in Thunderbird on
the inbox that starts scanning all new messages.

I do not think this is possible. You would have to save the attachments
to a directory somewhere (name it "suspect" or similar) and scan them
there.

That said, if you did what clueless people do and try to execute
attachments without scanning them, your a-v app - if running - should
prevent the execution, so long as it is something in its database. If
the virus is too new, then no kind of scan will alert you.

It is also not necessary to have an a-v app scanning Incoming and
Outgoing email.
AVG 7.1, T'bird 1.5x

You need to be updating AVG, as 7.1 is no longer supported. Get 7.5.

Tamiami

Beauregard said:
I do not think this is possible. You would have to save the attachments
to a directory somewhere (name it "suspect" or similar) and scan them
there.

That said, if you did what clueless people do and try to execute
attachments without scanning them, your a-v app - if running - should
prevent the execution, so long as it is something in its database. If
the virus is too new, then no kind of scan will alert you.

It is also not necessary to have an a-v app scanning Incoming and
Outgoing email.

You need to be updating AVG, as 7.1 is no longer supported. Get 7.5.

Thanks Beauregard, you confirmed my suspicions. Seems like a good idea,
though.

boywonder

It scans on receiving email and on sending email. Certification is
this tag :

"No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
4:36 PM"

If you want to scan all your email folders, find out where the data folder
is for Thunderbird, and right click it. There should be a selection in the
"context [ that's what they call it ]" menu.

If you do a complete scan of your system it will eventually scan these
folders anyway.

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/ new free version AVG 7.5.x

http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/ AVG free version forum

http://www.j79zlr.com/howto.php?id=11 how to properly configure avg email
scanning

--
Tommy
MUNGEDtmccMUNGED72AThalDASHpcDOTorg remove everything capitalized to email

Reality is for people who can't handle science fiction.
If Ignorance is Bliss, why aren't more people happy?

Gabriela Salvisberg

Am Wed, 17 Jan 2007 19:12:22 -0600 schrieb boywonder:
It scans on receiving email and on sending email. Certification is
this tag :

"No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
4:36 PM"[/QUOTE]

And - please! - if you're using AVG, try to *turn off* this stupid
"certification". It's of no use at all, since worm writers have
started to put that certification into their malware mails. Everyone could
fake this "no virus found" signature. No one should trust it. So it is not
only useless, but rather dangerous.

Gabriela

Buffalo

Gabriela Salvisberg said:
And - please! - if you're using AVG, try to *turn off* this stupid
"certification". It's of no use at all, since worm writers have
started to put that certification into their malware mails. Everyone could
fake this "no virus found" signature. No one should trust it. So it is not
only useless, but rather dangerous.

Gabriela

Here,here!!

Ron Lopshire

MoiMoi said:
The latter.

AVG gets recommended around here, and other venues, so often, that it
is probably used as an AV app by more clueless users than any other AV
solution. (The reverse does _not_ follow. A lot of very capable people
also use AVG.) As such, I have come to expect seeing the /stupid
certification notice/ from so many of these confused individuals.

But when I see the same notice from an NOD32 user, I just want to
scream. If you are savvy enough to use a great product like NOD32,
then you are also savvy enough to know better.

Just my 0.02. YMMV.

Ron :)

Marc Lewis

+ User FidoNet address: 1:396/45
Hello All.

<On 17Jan2007 01:59 Tamiami wrote a message regarding Enabling
AVG for Thunderbird >

T> I'd like to enable AVG to scan my Thunderbird inbox on my
T> command (that is, with AVG not continually running in the
T> background) and I can't finger out how. Like a right click
T> option in Thunderbird on the inbox that starts scanning all
T> new messages.

Any particular reason for not using the Resident portion of AVG?
That's almost suicidal now-a-days, with all the crap that's
circulating everywhere...

T> AVG 7.1, T'bird 1.5x

First off, you really need to update your AVG. Support for
V7.1x will be coming to an end soon.

Second, are you running the Pro version or the Free version? If
you're running the Pro version you could possibly set up a scan
task to focus on the T'bird mail directories. I don't think you
can do that with the Free version. However, the Free version's
e-mail scanner works exceptionally well. And contrary to what
some folks say, it's far safer to let it scan as the mail is
pulled in from the server by the AVG proxy... One less step you
have to be concerned with.

Best regards,
Marc
-+- timEd/2 1.10.y2k+

... Facts not conforming to the theory must be disposed of.
+ The FidoNet News Gate (Meridian, MS - USA) +
+ The views of this user are strictly his or her own. +

Gabriela Salvisberg

Am Thu, 18 Jan 2007 15:06:50 +0000 schrieb Ron Lopshire:
AVG gets recommended around here, and other venues, so often, that it
is probably used as an AV app by more clueless users than any other AV
solution. (The reverse does _not_ follow. A lot of very capable people
also use AVG.) As such, I have come to expect seeing the /stupid
certification notice/ from so many of these confused individuals.

True. And - as I wrote - it's being faked by virus writers.
But when I see the same notice from an NOD32 user, I just want to
scream. If you are savvy enough to use a great product like NOD32,
then you are also savvy enough to know better.

I detest all sorts of "Mail has been scanned by XY" signatures in
e-mails, no matter which AV application puts it there. It's just because
this kind of signature doesn't mean anything anything at all. Every worm
can fake it (and it *has* already been faked by many worms).

And even if it's really put into the mail by the sender's AV application,
it still doesn't mean that the attached file is really clean. It only
means that the sender's AV app didn't *find* anything wrong.

Conclusion: No one should trust that kind of signature. This leads to: If
no one should trust it, it is of no use. So it should be turned off ;-)

Gabriela

Tamiami

Marc said:
Any particular reason for not using the Resident portion of AVG?
That's almost suicidal now-a-days, with all the crap that's
circulating everywhere...

Limited system resources on an older Pentium, but have both hard and
soft firewalls.
First off, you really need to update your AVG. Support for
V7.1x will be coming to an end soon.

Just downed 7.5 Free and will get to that this weekend. I hope it
has an easy config to include Thunderbird inbox.

Thanks Marc.

<On 19Jan2007 01:19 Tamiami wrote a message regarding Re:
Enabling AVG for Thunderbird >
Any particular reason for not using the Resident portion of
AVG? That's almost suicidal now-a-days, with all the crap
that's circulating everywhere...

T> Limited system resources on an older Pentium, but have both
T> hard and soft firewalls.

If by chance you haven't tried it, do so. You may be surprised
how gentle the AVG resident is on the resources. FAR easier on
them than most of the "big name" virus protection programs,
particularly McAf** and N*V.

Best regards,
Marc
-+- timEd/2 1.10.y2k+

Marc said:
+ User FidoNet address: 1:396/45
Hello All.

<On 19Jan2007 01:19 Tamiami wrote a message regarding Re:
Enabling AVG for Thunderbird >

T> Limited system resources on an older Pentium, but have both
T> hard and soft firewalls.

If by chance you haven't tried it, do so. You may be surprised
how gentle the AVG resident is on the resources. FAR easier on
them than most of the "big name" virus protection programs,
particularly McAf** and N*V.

Best regards,
Marc
-+- timEd/2 1.10.y2k+
+ The FidoNet News Gate (Meridian, MS - USA) +
+ The views of this user are strictly his or her own. +

Thank you Marc. And thanks to everyone that replied to my post with
their suggestions.

Have a great day.